Mastering Chain EQ question....

So far I've used the mastering presets in Logic on my mastering chain. I'm now trying to get the hang of the mastering chain itself/what to do with it.

EQ on the mastering chain, is it used to balance energy across the frequency spectrum? So in other words reduce the energy in higher bands/increase in lower bands? I'm assuming with balanced energy across the frequency range the sound system the track is played on (Club Sound System --> iPod) will then define the highs, lows etc?

I've attached a couple of screenshots of a before/after EQ on a track I'm working on. The before have higher energy at the low/high end while the after has a more balanced energy across the frequency range. The later sounds a lot better however; I don't have high end gear so this is all being done graphically.

Any thoughts, comments greatly appreciated..

Andy

Screenshot_1.jpg.a09794eea3696708713397bc8223722b.jpg

So far I've used the mastering presets in Logic on my mastering chain. I'm now trying to get the hang of the mastering chain itself/what to do with it.

Mastering presets, and especially any type of equalizer preset, is like playing the lottery. There's a one in a million chance you'll find a preset that's actually useful.

Instead you should learn how to use an equalizer and the basics behind equalizing.

EQ on the mastering chain, is it used to balance energy across the frequency spectrum?

Yes, you could say that. But it depends entirely on what's in the song. Use your ears, not your eyes.

So in other words reduce the energy in higher bands/increase in lower bands?

Relatively, yes. However, it can change the the actual energy distribution if there's compression and limiting after the equalizer, because that'll pull up the remaining signal.

I'm assuming with balanced energy across the frequency range the sound system the track is played on (Club Sound System --> iPod) will then define the highs, lows etc?

The playback system will always define the final sound - whether your master is balanced or not. A balanced song will likely sound better though.

I've attached a couple of screenshots of a before/after EQ on a track I'm working on. The before have higher energy at the low/high end while the after has a more balanced energy across the frequency range. The later sounds a lot better however; I don't have high end gear so this is all being done graphically.

Here's a picture I took of a cake I made. How does it taste? ;-)

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/292860_10150244724028655_789138654_7277962_513720_n.jpg

My point is, that you can't use a frequency analyzer for very much, though that's a popular idea. So stop using your eyes and start using your ears.

If your monitors and acoustical environment isn't up to par, then there's a good place to spend some money. Start with the acoustic treatment - and don't use foam.

They look like Ladyfingers to me.

Yes, or Savoiardi in Italian.

You dip them lightly in cold Espresso and sweet Marsala wine ("Dolce"). The rest is Mascarpone cream cheese blended with egg yolks and vanilla sugar. Cocoa powder on top. The Tiramisu needs to rest in the fridge overnight to get that spongy texture.

About 80% fat, 100% heaven.

But what the f*ck is this, a cooking forum? :D