Logic 9 with NI Alicia Keys

christo4

Hi,

Sent this one to NI help desk but hav'nt heard anything...........

I just recorded a midi track into logic 9 ( 10.6.8 ) using my new Komplete 8 Alicia Keys keyboard (which by the way has nice full bodied tone compared to most sampled pianos). I played the entire track with my midi keyboard sustain pedal down for a rich over toned sound. The recording sounded great but then the sustain on the piano mysteriously disappeared after a few playbacks. I then discovered that if i held my keyboards sustain pedal down during logic playback that the sustain returned but only if i kept my foot on the pedal?????

Does this mean that Logic is not capturing the sustain aspect of the performance or is this a ram issue (i only have 2 gig in my imac)?

:roll:

It could well be a Ram issue... preventing the sustain samples being held so Kontakt itself releases the oldest samples to provide more room for the newer ones being played.

Just to clarify something, Kontakt only loads into memory the initial part of the sample. The rest is streamed from the HD as and when needed. However, if you are running low on Ram then Kontakt has to quickly release some of the samples it is loading into memory to make room for the newer ones that could result in a loss of sustain.

I will also say that it could also be related to the fact you held the sustain pedal down throughout the performance. If by that you mean you held it down and then never released it, if you start the track from after the sustain pedal was pressed at the very beginning then there will be no sustain because the Sustain On msg will not be seen by Kontakt. if this is the case.. rerecord but this time release and repress the sustain pedal every so often throughout the track and this could improve matters.

If you meant you used sustain on and off throughout the track.. then I would guess the issue is related to the lack of memory as stated earlier.

Finally, although the minimum requirement for Kontakt 5 is 2GB mem.. when you add in an instrument such as Alicia Key's piano.. you are really pushing the limits hard.. and that is without the resources that Logic needs (Remember, the requirements for Kontakt are for standalone use, not as a plugin inside a DAW.)

So 2GB is simply not enough memory and you should, if possible, at least increase that to 4GB as a bare minimum... or 3GB if that is the max your Mac can handle. The more ram you can install, the better overall...

HTH...

Thumbs up partner, your advice is great.

I did have the pedal down the whole way through. that has helped but i suspect my lack of RAM aint helping. I will add more RAM this week and once LION is stable enough i will buy the latest Imac and add alot of RAM for Kompelte 8. Thanks again for a great reply.

regards Chris

(...) I then discovered that if i held my keyboards sustain pedal down during logic playback that the sustain returned but only if i kept my foot on the pedal?????

Does this mean that Logic is not capturing the sustain aspect of the performance or is this a ram issue (i only have 2 gig in my imac)?

:roll:

Since Logic is able to play your track with sustain if you just hold the pedal while playing, it has nothing to do with your RAM. Are the appropriate "capture" settings checked in the prefs? Logic tends to forget them from time to time.

Additionally you can add some more Sustain-On-Controller events (without Sustain-Off events between them), it doesn't hurt but reminds Logic there was something it should have done.