Manual Granular synthesis

Triga

Hey guys i've just discovered the world off manual granular synthesis.

I've been recording little snippets of samples for e.g. kick drums looping them for a bar or so then importing it into the ESX24 sampler to make a mid bass sound to spread up & down the keyboard. Having heaps of fun adding things like distortion & editing parameters to get some really drastic changes.

A few questions i would like to ask are:

1. Is there a way you can record from the sample editor window when you have a small section looping to another track.

2. Can the ESX24 continuously loop a small snippet of audio so when you play a note on a midi keyboard it will continue playing rather than it ending with the audio file itself.

3. Does the port button under the pitcher fader stand for portamento.

Cheers

1. Is there a way you can record from the sample editor window when you have a small section looping to another track.

No. But that's not necessary, actually.

2. Can the ESX24 continuously loop a small snippet of audio so when you play a note on a midi keyboard it will continue playing rather than it ending with the audio file itself.

Yes. Open the EXS editor and be sure Zone Loop is selected in the View menu. You can tune the loop there or in the Sample Editor. Remember to enable looping for that zone.

3. Does the port button under the pitcher fader stand for portamento.

Yes, but it's not a button. It's a split fader that allows you to set the effect of velocity on portamento. Spend some time with the EXS section of the manual. It'll pay off for you.