putting automation on a separate track

soccerpie

@soccerpie: The disclosure triangle works great for revealing pre-existing track based automation (TBA) in separate lanes that all point to the original track; you're not recording on a new track per se.

Shortcut to open all lanes at once is to Option-click the disclosure triangle. Same to close them all at once. Selecting a new track will "minimize" the automation lanes if you want to leave them open. This works particularly well in auto zoom mode.

Note that Mod and Pitch wheel automation can be recorded directly into a new region if you use the "j" way - create a track with the New With Same Channel Strip/Instrument command. Handy for recording and then auditioning several passes of mod wheel data on different lanes and then auditioning them after you're done.

Disclosure triangle... What an UNBELIEVABLY USEFUL TIP!

(This now leaves no doubt in my mind that having fader8 on this forum all these years has been worth all the trouble).*

@ Camillo, the opening-the-disclosure-triangle thing seems to work well for entering new automation too, unless I'm missing something.

And to stress the point that Camillo made, don't use track automation for workaday MIDI stuff like pitch bend, modwheel, aftertouch. That stuff gets recorded (or entered & edited) as regular ol' MIDI data in a region.

@ Jordito, I have a track called bleepy in my current project. A coincidence or a trend? :lol:

* = :mrgreen:

@ Camillo, the opening-the-disclosure-triangle thing seems to work well for entering new automation too, unless I'm missing something.

Yep, for manually entering automation it works but for playing in new automation while the track is running, then the main track is where the new automation gets put, at least IME.

Yep, for manually entering automation it works but for playing in new automation while the track is running, then the main track is where the new automation gets put, at least IME.

Opening the disclosure triangle does not create a new track. Nor is there a "main track". You're still only seeing a single track, with multiple track automation lanes: one overlapped over the track, the others below. You still only have a single editing lane, the top of the track. The editing lane is where the name(s) of the region(s) are, and where you can still see the grid even though you're in automation view. You can use that lane for normal editing functions while still in automation view.

Automation does not "get put" on a specific automation lane. It is now part of the track, and as such can be displayed on any automation lane you desire. If the first lane shows volume, the second pan, then if I move the volume (while in touch or latch mode) I will see the new automation data displayed on the first lane, if I move the pan I will see the new automation data displayed on the second lane. If I change what parameters the lanes display this changes as well.

I hope that helps understanding the concept?

BTW guys.... this is all in my book! :D

You still only have a single editing lane, the top of the track. The editing lane is where the name(s) of the region(s) are, and where you can still see the grid even though you're in automation view. You can use that lane for normal editing functions while still in automation view.

I hope that helps understanding the concept?

BTW guys.... this is all in my book! :D

But, but, but.... David, I thought you could edit on any lane. :o :)

In fact I do edit on any lane! (Something which our mythical OP might be interested in. OP? Are you there? Hello?) Aside from that, yes, I did understand that there's only one track, which displays multiple lanes etc, which my lack of suitable nomenclature caused me to name "the main track".

There. I feel better now. I've used "nomenclature" and I'm barely into my coffee here.

You can use that lane for normal editing functions while still in automation view.

But, but, but.... David, I thought you could edit on any lane. :o :)

In fact I do edit on any lane!

I think you may misunderstand what I mean by "edit"? I Mean cut regions, move them, copy them, resize them, make marquee edits etc...: most of those can only be done on the tiny edit lane at the very top of the main track.

Automation lanes are not "tracks". They are just extra displays underneath a track to show individual automation types in their own editor. Hence the use of the term "lanes" rather than confusing the issue by calling them automation tracks or something similar.

It's just a useful workflow abstraction to let you work with various different automation data in a comfortable way, and it's been there ever since the automation system was overhauled and massively improved for Logic 5...

Unless you hit 'A' on the qwerty or the 'Automation' button, the magic little triangle doesn't appear to then offer you the option to display the track without its automation superimposed and the editable automation in a lane below.

But the problem with 'A' is that ALL the tracks then display their automation and clicking in the wrong place on the Arrange window can be disastrous - I'm sure we've all done it.

Is there a way, apart from manually switching off automation display of each and every track except the one you want to edit or check?

My reason why is to avoid the risk of clicking any other automation in the Arrange window, and to only have open what is needed.

Is there a way, apart from manually switching off automation display of each and every track except the one you want to edit or check?

I believe invoking the auto track zoom command while having the desired track selected takes care of it.

J.

....What do you mean by the "auto track zoom command"? Hitting the Auto Zoom button doesn't do it.

I believe invoking the auto track zoom command while having the desired track selected takes care of it.

J.

....What do you mean by the "auto track zoom command"? Hitting the Auto Zoom button doesn't do it.

Really? auto track zoom followed by hide/show automation doesn't do anything :?:

J.

J.

Really? auto track zoom followed by hide/show automation doesn't do anything :?:

J.

....What it does is display ALL automation on ALL tracks.

I'm asking if there's a way to display automation ONLY on your selected track (without manually switching off the display on all the other tracks, which might be quite a lot)

I kniow exactly what you're asking Mr. Robin. Sounds like your tracks' height is too large already. Make them shorter (zoom out vertically) and try again.

J.

....Aah!! That was the problem. Tracks view zoom level has to be the top side of 50% on the vertical slider and then it works.

But, I prefer all my Tracks to be viewed larger than that 50 threshold :( - My music doesn't usually have more than about a dozen tracks.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Wooo Hooooo !! If I position my cursor with my TrackPad over that vertical view slider I can then turn the Speed Dial encoder on my Novation keyboard and it'll even change the view from selected only to all track automation in real time. I love that !

The Speed Dial will action anything that the cursor is positioned over in Logic or Plug-ins including third-party.