All instruments at once Pianoroll view?

nutela

Can you have this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl7EY7Cg_P8&feature=related view in Logic? (it shows all instruments at once)

I know you can select all tracks but then it is a PITA which track you are editing :( I'd love to have the esc - toolbar shortcuts for switching instruments (just like you can switch from pencil tool to glue, scissors etc. esc-5,6 etc)

You'd have to open multiple Piano Rolls, sync their zoom levels, their playheads... it can be a PITA. I prefer to see everything in a single Piano Roll.

I know you can select all tracks but then it is a PITA which track you are editing

You need to choose View > Region Colors to see the notes with the same color as the region that contains them. You can also use the info display (top right of Piano Roll) to see what instrument you're editing as you select a note. You can double-click a note to see only the notes in that region, and double-click the background to go back to seeing all notes from all selected regions.

With that toolset, you should get pretty comfortable at editing multiple regions in a single Piano Roll. Just don't try editing hundred of them simultaneously as it can get messy obviously.

Thanks, you are most kind, I find Logic rather difficult to use but I love it anyway, it is so powerful. Still if you open a full screen pianoroll how to you switch between regions? Is there a shortcut to open the controller and switch between them? (I see opening the menu and hitting a key m for modwheel, e for expression but I don't know what the window is called.

Thanks, you are most kind

You are welcome!

if you open a full screen pianoroll how to you switch between regions?

:shock: Isn't that the question I just answered?

As for your comment regarding mod wheel and expression... I'm not sure what you mean... if you want to switch between various MIDI CC in the hyper draw view/area, then you should choose the key command "Hyper Draw: Autodefine".

Um not quite, how do you select which regions to view? I hit cmd-A but I see only one...? And I meant the fullscreen painoroll cmd-6!

Command-A won't do what you want it to - in the piano roll. That will only select all displayed notes in the piano roll. But if you do a command A in the arrange, all your midi regions will show up in the piano roll at once. For that matter, any combination of regions selected from the arrange are what shows up in the pianoroll. And that's where David's advice comes in handy. Try it!

You'll notice, in this scenario, that when you click on one note in the piano roll, the display in the piano roll's upper right will identify which region it comes from. After you know which region that note comes from, if you double click it, all the notes from all the other regions will (temporarily) dissappear. Then if you double click the piano rolls background, all the other region's notes will re-appear. Now you move on to the next region.

And if you want to make it really obvious at one glance where the notes come from, you can always go into the piano roll's view menu to change the display to View Region Colors. However, this is only going to work if the regions are actually different colors!

Of course, one of the simplest ways of working with a single region's notes in the piano roll is to only select that region in the arrange. And every time you click on a different region, that's what you'll see in the piano roll. You'll need a view of both the arrange and the piano roll to work this way.

Selection.png.accf1f0835800d4f86d199173b280d60.png

• 2 months later...

Just to resurrect this post as I found it using the search.

I have a requirement where I am writing a line for violin say.

Then I want to copy that line to say 6 different articulation tracks for violin.

So, Track 1 though 6 would be Legato, marcato, sforzando, pizz, stacc and sustain.

Then I want to open up all 6 in 6 different rows in piano roll and delete away so that I have only 1 line of music spread across all tracks using different articulations of the violin.

However, while this seems easily possible in many sequences like DP etc in Logic it opens then all up in the same piano roll.

Using region colours doesn't help because they are all playing the same note.

Any other ideas for this kind of workflow (and don't say key-switching ;-)

Many thanks

Since the piano roll will only display one view of notes at a time, you would need to select each region in turn in the arrange (this can be done fairly quickly with the arrow keys by incrementing down through arrange channels) and then delete the notes you see in the piano roll. When you were done, you could select all the regions and you'd see what looked like a single line of music. This would be a "subtractive" approach.

I do it the opposite way. I select a region that has the whole melody and then copy or cut the notes I want to appear in a different articulation. Back in the arrange, I'll have a blank region ready to take on the pasted notes. I select that and then paste them into the piano roll. This has the advantage of not playing all the articulations at once!

Another approach is sometimes I just chop out a region section and drag it to a new track. This can work well if the boundaries of that articulation area are well outside of other notes. Or I'll do like above, drag the whole region down and then delete everthing except the handful of notes I need for that articulation. Any way you look at it it's a PITA!

All of this would be so much easier if Logic's midi regions could display a piano roll right there in the arrange region, which I think DAWs like cubase can do. Failing that, we have to resort to workarounds like this. Or key switching! :wink:

Yeah, I think the original OP showed a vid where they were all like that - all piano rolls synced up during play. I also watched a vid with Guy Michelmore and he was using DP and he basically played a line in, copied it to say 4 articulation tracks - highlighted them all in piano roll and it had 4 piano roll tracks above each other in sync - then he just cut out from each track leaving in what he wanted for each articulation - it was quick and easy.

However, I like you idea of the subtractive method maybe:

1) Play in the line into say a legato patch

2) Create empty regions into the other articulation tracks that are same length etc

3) Cut out a note from legato patch and paste into the region for say marcato

4) Repeat 3) as many times as required.

I wonder if we could highlight the main line (legato patch) and launch a new window for the piano roll. Then open the other empty regions in their own windows and assuming the piano roll will inherit size/zoom settings - arrange windows in rows lined up and then cut and paste away?

Will try this but I doubt it will work that well!

Maybe Logic X will have this feature - I'd upgrade just for that!!!!!