Logic not freeing up memory after plugs are closed

JOB

It seems logic is not clearing out memory after plugs - or an entire session - is closed. I'll open up a session after closing the one before, and will get a "low memory" message followed by half the plugs crossed out.

I have to close and reopen Logic to switch sessions! On a quad 2.3 i7 w/8 gigs ram macbook pro.

What's the fix?

Need more information about which computer you're using and most importantly, what version of Logic you're running.

Please see our Forum Guidelines (item #5) and put your system info in your user profile. Here's the link to the guidelines:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=29410

When you post back, let us know whether you're working in 32 or 64 mode and what plugins you're using.

17" Macbook Pro, 10.6.8, Quad 2.3 i7, w/ 8 gigs RAM, Apogee Ensemble, Waves, Sonalksis, Ohmicide, Melodyne, Vocalign, and Logic plugs mostly. Not sure on 32 vs 64, haven't made any adjustments in that area and don't seem to see anything in the preferences.

Here's others discussing the issue I found searching online. They recommend iFreeMem, but using another program to fix this seems lame. Why wont logic just clear out the memory when plugs, or a session, is closed?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2170292?threadID=2170292

Put the info in my profile but not showing up. .

If you have plugins crossed out, shouldn't that be a core audio issue related to the interface driver, in your case the Ensemble?

Are you using Maestro 2 and latest Logic version?

When you launch Logic, does the splash screen say 32 bit? If not, then you're running in 64 bit. And if that is the case, are all your 3rd party plugs 64 bit?

I'm in 32 bit.

Its a memory issue, logic will sometimes flash a memory warning saying something like "low memory" and "some plugin unavailable."

But there's plenty of memory, way more than enough, it just seems Logic is not clearing out the memory of the previous session, or clearing out memory of plugins that have been turned off. So, once I've opened the 3rd or 4th session without re-starting Logic, it starts turning plugs off to save memory. When I close and reopen Logic, everything works fine. . . till I open the 3rd or 4th session again.

Check my link above. Others are having this issue.

If you use Logic in 32 bit, it won't use more than 3 gigs, regardless of the 8 gigs you have.

Try reducing the Undo Steps to 10 in Logic's Preferences, sometimes it makes a difference.

Second, try running Logic in 64 bit. Quit Logic, go to app icon in the Applications folder, hit Command-I and uncheck 32 bit mode in the Get Info window.

Restart Logic.

Thanks I'll give that a shot.

No way to get Logic to not continue to store memory from previous sessions though?

EDIT - 64 bit mode caused CPU spikes that stop my sessions. Reminds me of the bad old days of Logic 8 on a G5. Back to 32 bit. .

Still an unresolved issue.

This time Logic gave me this message:

"Not Enough memory to create clipboard/Undo!

Should never happen."

And the "abort" option to click does nothing, no matter how many times I hit it, and I had to force quit and lose work!

If I restart Logic, everything is fine. Its only when i've opened the 3rd or 4th session without restarting Logic that these memory issues come up.

Is this a tech support question? NO ONE ELSE HERE has this issue???

I have to say that I think one of the plugins you are using, is the cause of the issue and not Logic itself... The way to test this is to simply create a new project in Logic and use only Logic's built in plugins and see if you get the same issue.

If you don't then you know it's one of your 3rd party plugins and so you need to test out each one to see which is causing the issue.

If you do then you have probably have something else in your system that is causing the issue.. maybe a look through the Activity Monitor to see if any other application is using up your memory...

Or... it is related to your Audio Interface not releasing things correctly upon exiting a Project...

If it was Logic itself, there would be a lot more reports of such behavior, which simply isn't the case... so something else, somewhere and somehow.. is the root cause of your problem I suspect.

I second what Nigel says.

Logic is NOT responsible for how 3rd party plug-ins handle memory allocation and de-allocation.

I know this because I'm writing some audiounits plugins for fun and I learning a lot about how all this works and believe me if your coding is sloppy, you can easily jam blocks of memory that can only be recovered by restarting your computer.

Thanks guys.

64 bit mode causes CPU issues, the sessions won't play.

Doing a session with only Logic plugs in order to troubleshoot is a massive waste of time, I do this for a living and no time to fool around.

So I'll just restart Logic as necessary. Thanks for the help.

The point of doing a project with Logic plugins only is to help you troubleshoot so you can find out exactly what is causing the problem. Not locating the problem will surely cause you to 'massively waste' more time in the long run... and if you are using your system professionally.. as to a lot of us here.. then fixing such an issue, should surely be a priority no?

The fact that you get CPU issues in 64 bit mode (Which is not normal..) and you have this other issue too.. tends to make me think you have something wrong/screwed up with your drivers or plugins.... but, if you are happy staying in 32bit mode and having to reboot all the time, that's your call.

The point of doing a project with Logic plugins only is to help you troubleshoot so you can find out exactly what is causing the problem. Not locating the problem will surely cause you to 'massively waste' more time in the long run... and if you are using your system professionally.. as to a lot of us here.. then fixing such an issue, should surely be a priority no?

The fact that you get CPU issues in 64 bit mode (Which is not normal..) and you have this other issue too.. tends to make me think you have something wrong/screwed up with your drivers or plugins.... but, if you are happy staying in 32bit mode and having to reboot all the time, that's your call.

How do I find these potential issues? Sessions take weeks and I need to use all my resources. Doing one with only Logic plugins is not an option, it doesn't forward my work at all.

Let's assume I've done an all-Logic-plug session, found no issues, and so its a 3rd party plugin thats causing the issue. What now?

64 bit mode causes CPU issues, the sessions won't play.

You need to increase your buffer size to the max. If you're using so many plug-ins that you're running out out memory, I assume you're already at the mixing stage and won't be bothered by the increased latency a large buffer gives.

If you have software instruments in your projects, make sure their tracks are not selected/record-enabled as that puts them in Live mode and will contribute quite a bit to CPU consumption (depending on the instrument).

J.

Sessions take weeks....

If you are not willing to follow some basic trouble shooting steps that take less than an hour or so to undertake.. then I'll leave it to someone else to help you...

Its an intermittent problem that happens sometimes as I jump back and forth between working on projects hours at a time. Its not as simple as just loading up a bunch of Logic plugs in an hour and seeing if there's a problem. I'd need a working session in the mix of what I'm working on, and the issue would have to intermittently happen when I happen load that particular all-logic-plug session. And if it WEREN'T to happen, there would be no way to tell whether its because of the plugs, or I just didn't happen to open the session at the wrong time when memory finally maxes out. That's not a basic trouble shoot step, its a crapshoot, that doesn't forward my constant backed-up-for-weeks-but-they-need-it-asap work in any way.

So again, let's assume that the all-Logic-plug session works fine and the problem is a 3rd party plugin. What now?

Side note - 64 bit mode seems to be working fine now. Not sure why it kept stalling out my session last time.