Two separate mono L/R to one averaged mono track

solan

So here is my end goal:

I have a bunch of sessions that have L/R tracks as separate mono audio files that I want as single mono files for each instrument by averaging the two channels. That is (L + R)/2 -- I thought this would be really easy and I'm either overlooking something obvious, or it's not that easy. I hope the former.

I am comparing my results to Matlab, taking the L/R tracks and averaging them. I get a very close result by panning the mono L/R tracks with -3.1dB gain and bouncing to mono. One thing I noticed trying to get this to work right is that there is some gain that is not shown in the signal chain. Unless the Stereo Out meter is not the same scale as the Audio channel strips, I'm not sure what else is happening. Shouldn't the levels in Output be the same as the respective channels in the following pic?

Any comments/ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://music.ece.drexel.edu/~jscott/logic_faders.png

So here is my end goal:

I have a bunch of sessions that have L/R tracks as separate mono audio files that I want as single mono files for each instrument by averaging the two channels. That is (L + R)/2

L+R means you're summing both audio files. There shouldn't be any panning going on. Leave your pans centered.

/2 means you're lowering the level of the sum. Grab your fader and turn the level down.

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry, I guess that screenshot was misleading. This is from when I was making a single stereo track first. I'm still not sure why the L/R of the output meter doesn't match the levels of the respective L/R kick channels, since everything is at 0dB.

In terms of getting the mono bounce, I calculate that for the channels to be averaged, I need -3.01dB [10*log(2)] on each channel. It looks like logic only gives 0.1dB resolution. What's weird is that I get a closer result with -3.1dB than -3.0dB.