Internet, Audio recording, Firewire and IRQ conflicts?

cheeserandyburg

Since the drop out error in console means "core audio didn't deliver audio samples on time to device" this is software related issue from what I gather.

No. In fact this points squarely at the hardware/driver being the issue. The OS is just dutifully reporting that the device isn't accepting data. To confirm this, and rule out the possibility of it being OS related, run the system using the built-in audio interface. Set up an app to record to a mono .caf file. Go to bed. See what's happening in the morning. Let it run as long as you can.

Sorry thats what I meant fader.

The error is not present without the interface connected. Only when the interface is connected do I get the errors during drop outs. Those errors however let me do the tests and conclude if there was a dropout over night (being that I can't be around the computer 24.7 ofcourse)

Without the interface connected, and left recording over night I wouldn't notice if there was a dropout. Unless the audio recording physically cuts off.

Also in addition, it doesn't make much sense being the driver (eventho its pointing to it), since Metric Halo is known to have some of the most stable drivers in the business. Something is just not right.

Hi

If I follow the thread of your tests, the one thing that you have not eliminated is the Metric Halo device or it's drivers.

Does the same problem happen with (any) other FW audio devices?

CCT

I don't have any other FW audio interfaces available to test at the moment. Nor the money for one unfortunately.

This issue is not present unless connected to Firewire (I can run the Metric halo alone without the computer as a stand alone preamp)

Many different versions of the drivers have been tested with their support, including the most recent which is geared to eliminate any of these problems which they themselves haven't had reports of. Still persists randomly.

I really wish I could test it with another FW audio device myself CCTMusic..

+1 on it being an MH related issue..

It seems like that is the only common denominator,..,. so it could be hardware or driver related to that specific piece of hardware or to their drivers in general.

Try, as was suggested earlier, using the built in Audio only and a FW drive...and see if you get the same issue...

Also, not sure where you get the idea that the ULN2's drivers are some of the most stable because a quick google search seems to indicate several different issues people have had with those drivers, some of which seem to remain an issue... though none relate to your own issue directly.

I think you may have fallen for some hype from MH themselves... in regards to their own drivers!

I also noted during this search, you reported this issue occurring back in May.... on a different website.. and that MH also stated they needed to update drivers and firmware because of 'certain issues' relating to 'firewire and dropouts'

back in March... Maybe they haven't fully fixed it despite their claims?

+1 on it being an MH related issue..

Try, as was suggested earlier, using the built in Audio only and a FW drive...and see if you get the same issue...

Also, not sure where you get the idea that the ULN2's drivers are some of the most stable because a quick google search seems to indicate several different issues people have had with those drivers, some of which seem to remain an issue... though none relate to your own issue directly.

I think you may have fallen for some hype from MH themselves... in regards to their own drivers!

I also noted during this search, you reported this issue occurring back in May.... on a different website.. and that MH also stated they needed to update drivers and firmware because of 'certain issues' relating to 'firewire and dropouts'

back in March... Maybe they haven't fully fixed it despite their claims?

I'll open Logic, Quicktime, or Garageband and record using the built in sound for the test as suggested by you guys.

As for the drivers, I have never ever heard or seen on google, or any forums for that matter any issues regarding their drivers. In actual fact I have seen praise for their stability among the rest of whats out there, and they themselves haven't had any similar reports like I'm having.

Lastest firmware and driver installed on my system aswell. And a google search for this problem only reveals I'm the only person struggling with this issue. Strange but true.

Only thing left at this point is trying the built in audio test, and a 400-400 cable.

Thanks

:wink:

UPDATE:

Macbook running on built in audio recording in Quicktime using built in-input for past few hours = no problem.

iMac running with NEW FIREWIRE cable 400-400 (to rule out cable troubles) + ULN2 = Drop out 7 hours into recording.

Driver issue looking quite possible now as the culprit for dropouts. Still not positive though. Too early in tests.

In conclusion,

Me = Not happy.

I agree... It is looking more and more like a driver issue.. Still not 100% sure.. but unfortunately, looking pretty darn close...

If this the case in the end n6smith, it'll be quite a rare or strange one. But mostly just very disappointing.

Used built in audio overnight in Quicktime recording 12 hours no problems.

I really enjoying using this unit when it "works". Great pre's, great quality, but stability isn't 100% there from my experience. In addition, to conclude any bad ports on the unit I tried another firewire port on the back of it, same thing happened with the drop out happening 7hrs after recording was started.

3 recording dropouts in less then 24 hours? Not pleased.

One last test left, and that's to roll back to a earlier version of the driver as suggested by their support.

Other then that, I'm all out of options, and it'll be basically back to the hunt to get a very reliable firewire interface for my Mac. Whether that exists is past me at this point.

I'm still scratching my head on why I'm the only person that's experienced this especially on Google.

A forum member on this forum has the same unit and has no issues with it, this really is a strange.

Thanks guys

I agree... very disappointing to say the least given the cost of the ULN2 and I hope I am wrong but given you have basically eliminated every other cause of this issue (The fact it happens on both your iMac and your MBP, discounts any issue with your computer hardware..) and you changed out the last likely culprit (The cable) then you are only left with the audio hardware and drivers...

One other question from me on this...

Do the dropouts happen when you are actually using your computer (ie.. moving the mouse/selecting items/recording midi and so on..) or do they only happen when you leave the computer alone to play something or record something without you physically interacting with it...?

I'm still scratching my head on why I'm the only person that's experienced this especially on Google.

Don't discount that it could be a hardware problem with your ULN's firewire port. A cold solder joint, or marginal power supply or a dozen other hardware issues could cause intermittent hiccups like this. See if MH will swap it out.

One other question from me on this...

Do the dropouts happen when you are actually using your computer (ie.. moving the mouse/selecting items/recording midi and so on..) or do they only happen when you leave the computer alone to play something or record something without you physically interacting with it...?

Both. While using and not using.

When I first got this rig (oct 2010), I remember it happening when listening to music a long time ago in Cog player for Mac. And when this happened I was surfing the web or something (sitting at the computer). I mentioned this to support, and updated the firmware and drivers. Turned out my drivers were from 2005 and needed updating to the current ones at that time. And the problem disappeared. ... or so I thought.

A little later, it appeared in Firefox, while streaming something like a youtube video. I blamed it on flash.

Then after awhile, I started noticing it was happening in Garageband, while playing along with a track (practicing a part for example) This was before I even bought Logic and I thought of it as just a 'minor' hiccup.

But when I purchased Logic I ran into it aswell. I started checking console at this time, and was noticing the same error occuring each time there was a dropout. I put that together and realized there's a correlation with the dropout and the error.

So eventually, when I'd leave the computer on and Logic or anything audio related for that matter, I'd come back to check console sometimes and see the error. It was happening quite frequently. But intermittently. 5mins, 20mins, 3hrs, 7hrs into sessions. Atleast once a day.

Then finally I was playing audio back in Quicktime after I had recorded something using it and it hiccuped again.....

...... and then iTunes just a few days ago.

That's when I had enough and concluded it was affecting the WHOLE audio platform. Not just recording applications.

Don't discount that it could be a hardware problem with your ULN's firewire port. A cold solder joint, or marginal power supply or a dozen other hardware issues could cause intermittent hiccups like this. See if MH will swap it out.

They've offered to take and check the box out in the past, I'll mention it if it doesn't get sorted out with the earlier driver versions.

Thanks guys

UPDATE:

I installed an earlier (older) driver from support, and left Quicktime 7 running over night. = Better luck.

The last time I did this test using Quicktime 7, I was using the NEW drivers (ie. the "bad" ones) and got a drop out.

Here's the difference.

When using the drivers that "apparently" are giving me problems and errors in console I got --> http://i43.tinypic.com/k0347d.jpg popping up right after I pressed stop on the Quicktime recording. I also got a bunch of dropout errors in console like always.

Now, jump to last night when I installed an OLDER version of the driver that doesn't log these errors, and I got: "Recording stopped because the maximum duration for the file has been reached"

Left it running over night for 13.5hrs... I'm not sure what .mov file size limits are in audio recording, but 13.5hrs is looking much more promising then the usual 30mins, 4hrs or even 9hrs till drop outs occur. In addition no error message containing "interrupted media stream, etc" was present, instead I had the "maximum file size limit, etc"

Next, I'll install the same driver on my Macbook Pro, since these tests were done on the iMac. Lets hope it runs as well on the Macbook as it did on the iMac.

:roll:

Now, jump to last night when I installed an OLDER version of the driver that doesn't log these errors, and I got: "Recording stopped because the maximum duration for the file has been reached"

Be sure you're recording to the .caf file format so that you don't get these messages.

Be sure you're recording to the .caf file format so that you don't get these messages.

Will do.

However it seems that .mov (AAC) and .CAF share the same maximum lengths.

I got 13.5 hrs straight before that msg popped up in Quicktime. The file size was 551.6MB.

As for CAF files:

About 13 hours and 30 minutes at 44.1 kHz

About 6 hours at 96 kHz

About 3 hours at 192 kHz

The bit depth and channel format—mono, stereo, or surround—do not affect the maximum recording size of CAF files.

This means that it has its limits aswell. Funny enough identical to .mov (AAC) files.

Whether I use Quicktime or Logic to record doesn't seem to make a difference for this test.

Thanks

Were you recording to the iMac's internal drive or are you using an external drive? If it is external, how is that drive formatted?

Internal only.

No need to worry here, the max file length allowed for AAC is 13.5 hrs. Same as .CAF.

Currently I'm running the same test on the Macbook Pro, so far 4hrs in and still going strong. Lets hope it stays that way till 13.5 hours.

UPDATE: Conclusion,

Here's the outcome of the .CAF file recording tests in Logic along with the Quicktime tests using the OLDER version of MH drivers.

13 hours 25mins recording at 44.1kHz in Logic. Non stop. (.CAF format)

No interruptions, No drop outs, no errors, just straight audio.

13 hours and 30 mins, using AAC (.mov) using Quicktime. Non stop.

No drop outs, no errors.

Quicktime tests were done on iMac and Macbook Pro. And Logic .CAF tests were done on Macbook strickly.

Both these tests reached the recording limit length without any problems.

So in conclusion, the most recent (newest) driver from MH was to blame. Strange but true.

This explains why I didn't have issues using the unit when I first bought it last year.

Older drivers = no problems with dropouts.

New drivers = stability issues with consistent data audio stream.

I'm surprised this slipped past them somehow. But in turn raises strange questions about the fact that I was the only person encountering this and no other reports of it were known to them.

Either way, hopefully this will put an end to the year long dilema, special thanks to everyone who chimed in, especially n6smith and fader :D