Screen Saver keeps getting turned off?

Joseph Hanna

I've worked on this problem off and on for a while now. I like to use screen savers to get my eye's off watching Logic/Pro Tools waves form roll by. It makes it much easier to concentrate on the music. I have a hot corner set up. When I'm ready to listen for a pass or two my mouse goes to the bottom right corner and up pops the screen saver.

Works fine in Pro Tools. Logic only let's in run for a few seconds and then boots the screen saver off. It's gotta be some kind of midi command that's tell the screen saver to go away but I'll be darned if I can find it.

Seems like a petty problem but I really miss it when I'm in Logic.

Thoughts???

It's not a Midi command.....

The screen saver is designed to work when the computer is doing nothing. Logic does something that turns off the screen saver... Probably because screen savers can take up a lot of CPU cycles and so Logic wants all the resources available for itself...hence it stops the screen saver working.....

Not a technical answer i know.. but it is what occurs and why....

It's interesting that you say that David, as a friend of mine says much the same thing yet on my system, Logic always kills the screen saver (or display off for that matter) after a few minutes or so. I initially thought it was because I had "Wake up on network access" on but no.

I've come to the conclusion it is dependent on what external devices you have attached.. as I think, and i don't know this for sure.. it is purely a guess.. that some devices 'wake' up the computer every so often themselves.. Not sure which devices.. could be the Motu or one of my external HDs... interacting with Logic but something makes this occur.

I've also noted that if Logic is running then neither the screen saver nor screen sleep work automatically as they are supposed to according to the energy settings I have..... Quit the Logic app and they work..

Thoughts, ideas as to what is the root cause of this?

Nigel: You may of course be correct, that is to say Logic is doing something to "kick" the screen saver off and in fact now that I think about it there can be no doubt that Logic is doing something... the question of course is what? By way of process of elimination Pro Tools does NOT kick the screen saver off.

David: Yes in fact I have "unplugged" my midi rig in the off chance something was transmitting data that tripped the screen saver. No joy.

Like I said it seems somewhat trivial but I've used this technique since the Big Bang with Pro Tools and I've grown accustom to it. Old habits die hard :)