Deleting multiple files after recording..

tsunchoo

If you record in Logic and immediately decide to discard the recording you get an option to delete the files completely. This is handy especially when you've recorded multiple tracks at the same time like drum parts and want to get rid of all of them.

If, however you want to delete a bunch of related tracks at a later stage it's harder to do. You have to locate all the files in the audio bin and then control-delete them.. and for some reason selecting audio files in the arrange window doesn't always highlight the correct files in the audio bin - so the process of finding and deleting files can be tedious.

Am i missing something?

that's not the same thing chaps you didn't understand the question.

i'm not looking to delete unused audio files.. i'm looking to select audio files from the arrange window and delete those from the disk.

i don't wanna go fishing around in the audio window.

i want it to delete the files i select in the arrange window from the disk

sorry if that wasn't clear..

ok, thanks

but.. when you first record and you have the option i have described above to delete the files straight of the disk you are deleting 'regions' which constitute the entire 'audio files' are you not?

let's say for the sake of argument that you have not changed the length, chopped, sliced or otherwise reused any part of the files/regions and they are sitting there just as you recorded them on the tracks - is that same option still available and how?

i'm not looking to delete unused audio files.. i'm looking to select audio files from the arrange window and delete those from the disk.

i want it to delete the files i select in the arrange window from the disk

You can't delete files from the disk in Arrange.

That's the way Logic works. Same in Pro Tools.

What you see in Arrange is regions linked to files in the Audio Bin.

i understand that regions are instances of audio files.

yes, i can select each one and go find it in the audio bin (as it doesn't always seem to highlight the actual file) but this is beyond tedious - especially when the filenames are identical except for a number.

navigating files and their relationships to one another in the audio bin is rubbish as far as i'm concerned, just another example of how ill-named Logic is.

and just because it's the same in Pro Tools doesn't mean that it's not simply bad design in two different applications - if these issues aren't addressed they never get fixed.

Clean up deletes the unused files in a Logic project once you used the delete unused files function in the Bin.

It lists all the unused files that are to be deleted and you can select the ones you want to keep. It even includes older bounces, so you better double check.

And this time deletes means it puts them in the Trash.