Logic and Lion - is it soup yet?

Soundhound

I have a laptop, ipad, iphone, i'm a mac nerd. My iMac does two things: serves up my massive music library, and runs Logic (and all the plugins I use with it). It's performing well at the moment and I'm loathe the screw it up.

That said, I'm wanting to go to Lion for iCloud (really just to start playing with iTunes Match), but I keep reading about continuing bugs/problems with Logic and Lion. Anybody using Logic and Lion yet who feels it's stable?

If you were me, would you make the jump yet? Or maybe wait a bit longer... Maybe spring?

i've been running logic and lion almost every day since lion day 1; right now, 10.7.2, pretty stable (i've had a few crashes), but no different than in 10.6.8.

i'm happy overall.

it's always a crapshoot to upgrade your OS, but eventually you'll want to do it.

one day, u wake up, and your apps REQUIRE the latest OS.

do it now? up to you. (maybe keep your older OS dvd handy in case...)

That's good to hear! Do you you a lot of plug in instruments (NI, Toontrack et cetc). I use a ton, so I'm wondering how they're holding up so far...

i've been running logic and lion almost every day since lion day 1; right now, 10.7.2, pretty stable (i've had a few crashes), but no different than in 10.6.8.

i'm happy overall.

it's always a crapshoot to upgrade your OS, but eventually you'll want to do it.

That's good to hear! Do you you a lot of plug in instruments (NI, Toontrack et cetc). I use a ton, so I'm wondering how they're holding up so far...

i'm happy overall.

except for the ultrabeat & EXS, everything is a 3rd party plugin (i'm doing electronic-base pop/hiphop).

so...alchemy, zebra, sylenth1, punch, massive, several others...

I upgraded from Snow to Lion a few days ago, right in the middle of a Logic project (dumb, yes?)

I have noticed a glitch: both the horizontal and vertical scroll bars jump the content out of place when you drag the bar left or right, up or down.

Right now my arrange window displays Bar 48-53. When I drag the horizontal slider, it jumps suddenly to Bar 41 and a lot of dragging is required just to return to my starting point - plus whatever dragging I wanted to do in the first place.

This happens in all windows I have used, including detached windows like the MIDI event window opened with command-6.

Not fatal but most annoying!

My aging MB Pro also displays drastic battery-life reduction, which is widespread with Lion, no fix yet, and I just read about AFTER upgrading - so if you run a Book and your current setup is fine, I would wait - and I wish I had.

I upgraded and the one thing that does not work in either 32 or 64 bit mode is audio time stretching. It "sometimes, kind-of" works in 32b (if you are lucky) but is very unpredictable. In 64 bit mode you will just get the spinning color wheel, which will never stop, and a force quit is required.

That is the only thing I have seen that gives me trouble. I have officially reported as a bug to apple support (as I am sure many others must have) and have not gotten any kind of informative answer from them yet.

I've been working full time on the latest Logic / Lion versions for the last few weeks and it's alright. Not quite as good as back on Snow Leopard but totally workable. It's got to be said I've had a few more crashes, and that scroll bar glitchiness thing is pretty lame (I got a magic track pad which side stepped that issue - now I don't need the scroll bars, I just touch swipe around the arrange page - I recommend!). All my plugging work besides some of the Sonnox ones. The other issue I've been having is sometimes the interface goes unresponsive for up to a minute, which didn't happen before. But it looks like that could be something to do with Spotlight at the moment. Still working on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I updated the day Lion came out. I wasn't in the middle of any projects, sort of on vacation, I was excited.

I've been on a Mac and Logic for about 13 years, I know what I'm doing, and I have NEVER experienced the kind of s**t storm that has happened now that I'm running Lion. Never mind bugs in other apps like Safari (!?) and quicktime.

I have friends that haven't experienced any noticeable trouble and I have some others that are in the same boat as me.

Should I upgrade?

If someone asks I say hell no.

But maybe everything will be fine. Is it worth the risk? What will Lion give you that you don't have now? It's sexy with some nice new features, but it's not going to change the way you make music.

Anyways, watch out bro.

A

aleos,

Given you are using Lion you should really update Logic to 9.1.5 as according to your sig, you are two versions behind.. (Unloess you just forgot to update your sig?)

Also, what issues are you having specifically... as you are using a Motu driver that is the same as mine and I'm having absolutely no issues with Logic and Lion at all... so it has to be something else going on that's causing your issues.

Finally, you are right.. at this time there is no real reason to upgrade to Lion if all you are using that computer for is Logic.

However, many people want to upgrade to Lion because they want to use for example.. iCloud with their iPads/iPhones.. so they can easily (especially if they were having issues with MobileMe in the past) sync their Calendars, Notes, Reminders, Photos via Photo Stream and so on... and if they only have one computer then that's a pretty good reason to upgrade compared to someone who has a computer that is dedicated to Logic and making music, don't you think?

I should also add...

Over the summer I have had to deal with several clients who have had issues with Logic after upgrading to Lion and in every case, without exception there has been just 4 causes...

1) Old or incompatible drivers/hardware/firmware in use. Upgrading or replacing these drivers/firmware/hardware fixed the issue

2) Old or incompatible Applications/plugins in use. Upgrading or replacing the applications/plugins fixed the issue

3) An incorrectly upgraded or corrupted ProKit installation. Once a new ProKit was installed the issue was fixed.

4) A bad or corrupted upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion was performed. This is usually caused/exacerbated by any of the first three problems. Resolved by wiping HD clean and installing Lion from scratch and then reinstalling all Apps and plugins and copying over personal data from backups. After doing that no issues were found.

As an aside to cause 4... I believe that when doing a major upgrade of an OS.. one should always install from scratch onto a clean HD rather than doing an upgrade.. even though some people do not have issues in doing such upgrades. I've just found over the years that the chances of issues being found, are way more likely after an upgrade being done rather than a wipe and clean install of a major OS when the OS has been radically upgraded/changed.

Anyhow...

I truly have not seen any other issues that were not related to any of the 4 causes above..... and from what i can recall, in any reported issue here and on other Logic forums for example... the same 4 issues and appropriate fixes, applied in probably the majority of reported cases.

thanks smith for your words of wisdom.

I totally agree with you about doing a clean install as opposed to an upgrade. It was the summer and I was lazy. ha.

It's true, I haven't upgraded my sig, and am running the newest version of Logic.

My specific bugs are;

1."export audio to movie" results 25% of the time in a white noise bounce. Literally the films soundtrack sounds like an exploding television speaker. And it is not an exaggeration when I say 25%. My fix is to restart logic and then it usually works fine the next time.

2.Mutiple graphic bugs.

3. dialog boxes that say "logic cannot save the project...xxxxx"

4. and last but not least CRASH CRASH. More than ever.

Safari has a weird glitch where, at least once a day, a page will freeze. Not safari, but just a page. And it isn't on the other end. It has happened with my gmail, it has happened on these forums. It's really annoying.

And I won't even get started on quicktime player...oh goodness. It's werewolf.

Just to let you know as well, it takes a lot for me to complain. I'm a hyper optimist, and have been Mac happy for many years. This is the first time I have ever run into stuff like this. And it was immediately after the lion upgrade.

A

edit; I forgot to mention, another crazy bug is some sort of phantom nudging of regions. There might be another answer to this, but again it popped up around lion. Now and then regions are bummed a beat back or forth. It happens to often now, and never before, to be a coincidence.

Ah.. ok.. that helps a great deal... so here are my thoughts as to your issues..

The 'save' type issues and crashes... are usually caused by a bad ProKit installation... Try the ProKit fix and see if that works for you.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3968?viewlocale=en_GB&locale=en_GB

However.. instead of deleting the Prokit file according to the instructions.. just move it to your desktop and rename it. If it doesn't cure your issue, rename it back to the original and move it back. If you get a "Can't replace as you already have a newer version installed' type of error you have not moved and/or renamed the correct file.. from the correct location.

The issue with exporting audio to a movie (In Logic 32bit as it doesn't work in Logic 64bit mode) is likely to be caused by a old or corrupted copy of QT as that handles that particular feature and given you are having other issues with QT,...I'd Try reinstalling/updating QT.

Not sure about graphical bugs... You do mean in Logic yes? If so.. what kind of bugs are you seeing and when? It's possible the ProKit fix will sort those out too but I've only seen such issues during scrubbing.... and Prokit certainly sorted that out for me..

The Safari issue I've had too though since I did the latest Safari update to 5.1.2 that came out late last week... I haven't seen it again.. However, it hasn't quite been a week yet and like yourself I usually see it about once a week randomly...

smith, thanks man for all the wonderful support. Your OSX knowledge runs deep. Nice.

I'll look into everything you said.

This morning I took your advice and tried to reinstall the prokit. But the system doesn't want to let go of the first one. If I move to trash (but not empty), or desktop, and rename, every time I try to install the one from the apple website it says "a newer version is already installed".

what gives?

I'm confused.

I am moving it from where you say. Infact I couldn't be moving it from anywhere else because there is no other prokit as far as I can tell.

It keeps on saying I have a newer version.

p.s. had a look at your blog nice stuff there. What's this soundclick? A little juke box and it's hosted on another site. Perfect. I need something like this for my website.

Ok.. when you look in that folder... are you still seeing a Prokit.framework file in there or has it gone completely? If it is still there you are not moving it but copying it so once you have copied it to your desktop, delete it from that folder and then rename the copy on your desktop. Make sure you fully rename it to something like old.old for example...

As for Soundclick.... go to http://www.soundclick.com for further info... I use the free version and then downloaded the little soundclick gadget and added it to my blog and it works great!

Sorry to harp on about this.. but you are checking first, before you try and install the new version, that the old version has gone from that folder yes?

If it has gone then I have no idea why you keep getting that message... Maybe try and restart after trashing it and see if that clears the issue with installing the new one...

• 1 month later...

Logic is ok with Lion for me, but Lion overall isn't what I would call a great experience.

I use my Mac everyday as i am a graphic designer and there are things that it does which feels like going backwards (un-deletable PDF files on Desktop until restart etc etc).

One thing that I cannot get working is Rob Papens Predator... simply won't play for me. I also purchased DCAM Synth Squad over Christmas and the latest version which is Beta for Lion won't install either. Other than that, eh-ok! :)

Logic is ok with Lion for me, but Lion overall isn't what I would call a great experience.

I use my Mac everyday as i am a graphic designer and there are things that it does which feels like going backwards (un-deletable PDF files on Desktop until restart etc etc).

One thing that I cannot get working is Rob Papens Predator... simply won't play for me. I also purchased DCAM Synth Squad over Christmas and the latest version which is Beta for Lion won't install either. Other than that, eh-ok! :)

dude that is NOT normal ('undeletable files on the desktop")...

One thing that I cannot get working is Rob Papens Predator... simply won't play for me.

Pred working fine with Lion here along with all the other RP plugins for that matter. Make sure you are using the latest versions...

The issue with 'undelete-able' files on the desktop is an issue with permissions and upgrading/restoring from backups that i have seen at least twice now with other clients...

In both cases, I used BatCHmod to fix the issue... However, you can screw things up royally with BatCHmod if you are not sure what you are doing.. so if you decide to use it.. be careful, make full backups and read up before doing so

HTH

After upgrading to Lion I'm getting nasty latencys! Despite being set to 256. Tried both my Virus Ti and Saffire LE as audio interfaces. Makes no difference. Same plugins I used in snow leopard too and that ran fine.

Any suggestions?

As you now know, according to your other thread.. the issue was caused by having the T-Racks Mastering plugin on the output...

This is quite normal for that particular plugin. In fact I had the same issue with SL too... as T-Racks is doing a lot of post processing though T-Racks does seem to add a great deal more to the latency when used with Logic and Lion and as you said, it could well be a T-Racks issue...