Audio from Logic Pro into Max MSP via Soundflower

rogus

I am trying to route audio via soundflower from Logic Pro by following these steps:

I used the Audio Midi Setup utility to create and Aggregate Device. This Aggregate Device uses Built-in as channels 1-2 and Soundflower (2Ch) as Channels 3-4.

Then to send audio from Logic to Max, I do this by:

1) I select my Aggregate Device in Logic's Audio Drivers Preference.

2) set an audio track's output to 3-4 (which is soundflower)

3) Then in Max, I select my Aggregate device as the Audio Driver

4) and Soundflower as the input device

In this way, things sent to Channels 3-4 in Logic are received in Max via the Mic icon (adc).

This isn't working. Sometimes I get what looks like a near solution but its an error:"Sample Rate 41923 recognized." I don't know what to do. Attached are screenshots. Help would be appreciated!

800205543_Screenshot2011-11-23at10_52_10AM.thumb.png.a12f6d1fd6123b8f63e26f4704dfbca3.png

1999926306_Screenshot2011-11-23at10_52_00AM.thumb.png.172048b20898b5cf6fe698d1f00fc365.png

yeah I made an Aggregate device in Audio Midi setup that had output 1 and 2 as #1 and Soundflower as the output. This aggregate device was called "final Project Routing" Should I not use aggregate devices?

OK, but still you're not using Soundflower as the input device in Max, at least not in your screenshot. You're using the aggregate device as input. I tried it like that and it didn't work either, but that's OK because what you want to get inside Max is what's routed to Soundflower after all, no?

J.

In your video you have the Sylenth1 channel outputting to outputs 3-4....but in your Logic mixer the outputs 3-4 channel is blank and instead the audio is going out 1-2. This is because you took the aggregate device out in Logic's audio preferences.

But anyway, let's try again.

1-I've created an aggregate device with my Duet and the 2 channel version of Soundflower.

2-I've chosen this aggregate device as the output device in Logic's audio preferences.

3-Created two instrument tracks each playing their own instrument/loop, one is routed to output 3-4 (the Soundflower outputs in the aggregate device), while the other is routed to the stereo out (the Duet outputs in the aggregate device)

If I press play now i will only hear the drum loop playing through the TO DUET channel.

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae10/jordito99/LogicAudioPrefs.png

I now open my simple Max patch containing a adc~ and a dac~ and...

1-Open the DSP Status window and set the driver to CoreAudio Duet. This will be Max's output device used by dac~.

2-Set the input device to Soundflower (2ch). This will be the input pair used by adc~ .

if I now start audio in Max by checking the toggle box above adc~, the EVP88 signal will pass through Max (as confirmed by the meter objects )and I'll hear it through the Duet together with the drum loop.

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae10/jordito99/MaxDSPStatus.png

Hope that helps.

J.

So I am following this. I believe that i am messing up the aggregate device?

I've tried multiple ways in max. Just not working? I am really slow at this?

Do I need to use an external audio card? (I have audio dj4 I could use with a mixer)

This is the best tutorial I've found so far on the web.

Attached is updated shots:

1029911450_Screenshot2011-11-28at11_22_05AM.png.fb334dc4ca22b1c1ef19e400776f8e1b.png

942648558_Screenshot2011-11-28at11_21_48AM.png.b4537616b2369f618e05b5f2f91cb209.png

1140152231_Screenshot2011-11-28at11_20_44AM.thumb.png.b293c1cf9b9bcaf947db44ec9bc4e143.png

Do you need any audio to be played back from Logic, without ever entering MAX?

If so, then you don't need the aggregate device. Just set the Core Audio Built-In output as the Driver (imagine "driver" means output) in Max's DSP Settings, and Soundflower (2ch) as Input Device.

In Logic, Soundflower (2ch) as output device.

Try it now.

J.

I want to play a song (audio) I created in logic through max to be manipulated (filters/effects I created). I tried your suggested method and switched my computer audio back to normal built in output. I just can't seem to get any audio into max 6.

1772989313_Screenshot2011-11-28at11_49_05AM.png.0da3a99c173e3a580312aa185751a662.png

719804408_Screenshot2011-11-28at11_48_55AM.png.a41cf0674aa34f404fc97342220c0a46.png

Rogus, you need to re-adjust things in Logic's mixer after changing the audio devices in the preferences. In your screenshot, I can see that all your channels are still outputing outputs 3-4, but since you changed the output device to Soundflower (2ch), you must change the output assignments to Stereo Out.

Just set the Core Audio Built-In output as the Driver (imagine "driver" means output) in Max's DSP Settings, and Soundflower (2ch) as Input Device.

In Logic, Soundflower (2ch) as output device.

....and set the mixer channels outputs to Stereo Out.

J.

Edited by Jordi Torres

What version of OSX are you running there?

Rogus, thanks for providing that information in your last post. However it helps a LOT if you can put it in your signature so anyone can find it right away by looking at any of your posts:

Please add your Logic version and system info to your signature: Read Me Before Posting - Forum Guidelines (#5)