Noise canceling headphones for in flight movies?

Do any of you use Noise Canceling headphones when you're flying? I've never really given it much thought but I fly quite a bit and was wondering how good they were and if they are worth it. Ideally I'd like to avoid spending more than $150-200, but I'm not sure whether or not that's possible (or a good idea).

I'd love to hear your experience. The goal is to watch movies and relax by the way, not work on any music whatsoever.

Hi David,

As an airline pilot I can tell you that noise canceling head phones are a great idea. I use the Bose and find they do a great job for reducing fatigue. I have tried other brands but find that spending a little extra for the Bose are well worth the investment. When I'm not in the cockpit and flying as a passenger I love them for listening to music and watching movies. I find that even the usually crappy airplane audio even sounds good with these headsets. Hope this helps.

Cheers

I fully agree, the Bose ones are great:

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/noise_cancelling_headphones/quietcomfort_15/index.jsp

If you think that's expensive then consider yourself lucky you don't live in Denmark where the same $300 model costs $470. I'm sure you can find them cheaper than the RRP of $300 though.

Not just for watching movies, but as an alternative to earplugs. The difference is amazing, so much less fatiguing.

As an audio engineer, listening to music when active noise cancellation is on is a little odd, though.

If you have a small head (but a big brain) like me, then they are a somewhat loose even in the tightest position when your seat is very reclined.

As a side David, be comforted in knowing that Bose is an excellent company and stands behind their product. I had a 3 year old set of Bose QC1's and stopped by a Bose stand at Denver Airport and asked what I could do about the worn out head phone pads. The cost would be $50 or the rep offered me $90 to turn in my old headset for a brand new pair of the latest model headset. I got a new pair of headsets. Merry Christmas. :)