Synth Needed

Hi Guys

I'm thinking of choosing a hardware synth for performances and recording purposes in our band which is playing in brit rock style with a slight touch of pop. I'm seriously thinking about buying mini moog, what about any other alternatives you would suggest?

And aslo, are there any "show off" synts that look cool during performances for the "show" purposes.

Personally, as far as "show' is concerned... I'd use a Keytar along with a wireless Midi system and then use any of the multitude of great Instrument plugins avilable these days.. to actually create the sound... via Mainstage as the base controller for it all.

That being said, I own a 1972 Model D Mini myself which I think is still one incredible synth... but I would never take it on the road nowadays...

In fact I have become so accustomed to using plugins these days... that all I use on the road.. is a Mac Mini, (actually two as I keep one as a backup..) running Mainstage..and a cheap TV monitor along with a Ultralite and a Midi controller (or two) and I'm ready for anything that might be asked of me by the band in question... with an incredible range of different sound sources etc.. on hand without being limited to or worrying about.. one or two bits of expensive hardware which can and do break down from time to time, especially when being 'knocked about' on the road......

But if you really want a piece of flashy hardware then the Voyager takes a lot of beating.. with it's 'cool blue' lights... and you can, if you take your time, shop around and bargain a bit... find one for below $3k...

Finally.. there is always the Eigenharp..... for a look that is really different..

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/09/alternative-controllers-eigenharp-users-reflect-on-playing-a-new-kind-of-instrument/