Bussing: Aux track cancels out original panning? [SOLVED]

Blackfly

Im sure theres a simple explanation to this but I am so confused I hope you guys can help...ok here goes...

I have 6 tracks of acoustic guitar set up as thus....

1. panned hard left

2. panned hard right

3. panned 40 left

4. panned 40 right

5. panned 55 left

6. panned 55 right

1 and 2 are the main rhythm track. The rest strums and stuff to build up the rhythm etc anyways I digress. I have the panning set as I want it but I also want the guitars to have the same effects so I send them all out to 1 aux track with my 'super doopa special acoustic guitar' effect preset. The only problem is the aux track cancels out the original panning - what am I doing wrong?

I send all 6 tracks out to bus 1, the I/O of all 6 tracks read 'Input 1/Stereo Out'

Aux track 1 reads I/O of Input=Bus , Output = Stereo Out.

Really stuck hope you can help.

Many thanks

Blackfly

thanks very much guys - could you briefly describe 'parallel processing' please - sorry if I sound ignorant.

all the best

Blackfly

Parallel processing is typically used for compressing.

It consists of the same signal being duplicated. One is being processed and the other one isn't.

Finally you blend the two to get the "best of both worlds".

So in short by using 'send' I am blending my 'Dry' acoustic guitar signal with my 'Wet' effects on the aux channel. I got success with this method (ie selecting post pan also) but still got the 'pan cancelling' problem when setting the guitar outputs to the aux/bussed channel. Not that it matters I am quite happy using the send and 'post pan' option. I would just like to know why outputting (as opposed to 'sending' the guitar to the bus still cancelled my panning. Note: the aux channel was straight up the middle no panning.

thanks again,

Blackfly

ps. maybe I should spend some time searching these forums, I would normally but its late and the wife is shouting at me hehe.

So in short by using 'send' I am blending my 'Dry' acoustic guitar signal with my 'Wet' effects on the aux channel. I got success with this method (ie selecting post pan also) but still got the 'pan cancelling' problem when setting the guitar outputs to the aux/bussed channel. Not that it matters I am quite happy using the send and 'post pan' option. I would just like to know why outputting (as opposed to 'sending' the guitar to the bus still cancelled my panning. Note: the aux channel was straight up the middle no panning.

thanks again,

Blackfly

ps. maybe I should spend some time searching these forums, I would normally but its late and the wife is shouting at me hehe.

???

Is the Aux Channel set to mono?

Whether the aux channel is set to mono or stereo makes no difference. I can pan the AUX channel but not the guitar channel (which also makes no difference if set to mono or stereo (im assuming guitar track should be mono as it was recorded as a mono signal).

guitar track - input = input 1 'the guitar' / output - bus1 (the aux track with effects)

aux (bus1) track - input = bus1 / output = stereo out

Tried panning the 'guitar track' when aux channel set both mono and stereo with no joy.

sorry for the burden

You need to also make sure all the inserts on the Stereo Aux are stereo. To do that, click-hold the inserts one by one and choose "Stereo". Or first make your stereo Aux without anything inserted, and then insert stereo plug-ins.

When using send, make sure the send is post pan as I already described in my first answer.

• 4 years later...
The Aux channel must be stereo and as David stated all the plug-ins too.

Hey Eric, I have these EXACT settings and my audio file absolutely will not pan. All I get is a slight reduction in volume coming out of the AUX (presumably because only half the incoming signal is arriving...yet not getting panned).

I'm really quite lost at this point. The audio file is mono, I've set the track strip to mono, and checked that everything in the AUX is stereo.

Any ideas?