Things I can't find on "how to use" this forum.

JetLab

I've looked but I can't figure out 2 things.

1) How to put my own avatar up.....don't really understand what is being asked

for when it says to type in address of where your avatar is etc.

2) How to add someones quote to my post, where it is just a piece of their post

and how it's in a grey box.

Sorry if I'm bogging down this site with freshman questions none the less I appreciate any input or direction you can offer.

1) How to put my own avatar up.....don't really understand what is being asked for when it says to type in address of where your avatar is etc.

Stick your avatar on a free image hosting website, then paste the link in your profile.

2) How to add someones quote to my post, where it is just a piece of their post and how it's in a grey box.

There's a little button that says "quote" on it, on the top-right corner of posts. Click on that instead of "post reply".

There's a little button that says "quote" on it. Click on that

Then you can edit away to your hearts content in between the quote tabs

This is what happens when I hit the Quote button.

I'm not seeing the grey outlining that you guys get. Nor does My published post show who the quote is from.

Are you deleting the first quote bit?

It should look like this in your post:

There's a little button that says "quote" on it...

You've got the quote ends alright.

EDIT: it won't be big and bold though, I just did that to highlight the bit you seem to be missing...

This is what it looks like when I hit the "quote" button

So how do I select[/quote ]
particular parts of someones post[/quote ]
to quote on my post?[/quote ]

See a pattern there?

I added a space between "[/quote" and "]" to break the code intentionally.

If you select a sentence and click the Quote button while creating your post, it will put that sentence in quotes. If you add ="someone" to the "

" (ie
someone[/i]"]), then it will appear as "someone wrote:'".

Here's a guide:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/faq.php?mode=bbcode#0

J.

When you hit reply, usually a Topic Review panel opens up underneath the reply panel.

If you were wanting to take quotes from multiple posts, using your new skillz you can highlight using your cursor, then copy & paste any quotes you need from the topic review panel & wrap them in the quote tags once you've got them into the reply panel.

Ha ha, awesome! I'm getting the hang of it. The text has to be between the

and the

Never knew this. Sorry to hijack the forum but I really wanted to know how to do this. Didn't really explain that anywhere here that I could find so thanks for your input.

Only question now is how I would put multiple quotes from different people on one post. If I reply to a post it takes me to a new window and away from the origin of the post. With only one window open I can't really go back and copy and paste and copy and paste various passages I want to quote, or can I, how? Do I have to type

? That would seem tedious.

Only question now is how I would put multiple quotes from different people on one post.

When you hit reply, usually a Topic Review panel opens up underneath the reply panel.

If I reply to a post it takes me to a new window and away from the origin of the post.

With only one window open I can't really go back and copy and paste and copy and paste various passages I want to quote, or can I, how?

to take quotes from multiple posts, using your new skillz you can highlight using your cursor, then copy & paste any quotes you need from the topic review panel & wrap them in the quote tags

See at the top of your reply panel, there is a list of tags - if you highlight a passage of text then click "Quote" it will wrap that highlighted text in the quote tags, it's then up to you if you want to id who the quote has come from.

1517962259_Screenshot2011-12-04at20_06_55.png.b2619143e7f8c614a662144d0a0170c1.png

See at the top of your reply panel, there is a list of tags - if you highlight a passage of text then click "Quote" it will wrap that highlighted text in the quote tags, it's then up to you if you want to id who the quote has come from.

Oh man, I hate to sound like a total idiot here but here is the problem I'm having.

I see the tags at the top of my reply panel. If I click on quote it develops

in my reply field. Since I have copied and pasted your directions in this post 2 things occur that I don't understand. 1. I've copied your directions for this quote so my clipboard is taken with these directions. 2. If I click my browser back button to go back to the thread to do another copy and paste I lose this reply.

Sorry for the burden, I've just never learned how to use a forum before so I very much appreciate your input.

What browser are you using Ken?

Chrome doesn't display some of the forum properly so I'm wondering if this might have something to do with the difficulties you are having.

Since I have copied and pasted your directions in this post 2 things occur that I don't understand. 1. I've copied your directions for this quote so my clipboard is taken with these directions. 2. If I click my browser back button to go back to the thread to do another copy and paste I lose this reply.

Don't click the browser back button, that will take you to before you started typing. Can you not see a Topic Review panel underneath the preview & submit buttons?

All you should need to do is scroll down to that review panel, place your cursor in the review panel then scroll down to be able to read back through posted messages.

If there was more than 1 quote I wanted to post, I would highlight one, return to the reply panel, paste that in & surround it with quote tags. Then once I have responded to it I'll go back to the topic review panel & repeat.

There's only ever one quote in my clipboard at any one time, once I'm done with it the next one I highlight, select & copy replaces it.

Are you trying to copy more than one thing into your clipboard at a time?

Sorry for the burden…

It's not a burden, you've got me thinking that your browser mustn't be displaying the forum properly or something.

HTH

214554359_Screenshot2011-12-05at00_52.03copy.png.2f1b01d7d54391c5efcd3973747e220d.png

If you need to copy and paste stuff

I often do!

you could always open up TextEdit and paste whatever you need into there, and from there into your post.

Ah, another Text Edit fan. It's my notepad of choice. So fast. So lite. So supremely not Word.

See at the top of your reply panel, there is a list of tags - if you highlight a passage of text then click "Quote" it will wrap that highlighted text in the quote tags....

Thanks Ruari, I didn't know that!

Excellent, I think I will get familiar with my text editor as a means to display multiple quotes.

LOL, yea, I'm really a Jet Pilot. Very cool career and I absolutely love it, almost as much as music. Got to the "music or flying" fork in the road 25 years ago and chose the stability of a flying career with the thought that I'd pursue music when I get established. Now that I'm flying international I have a lot of time off so I'm really pursuing music with a great amount of diligence. Unfortunately at almost 46 I find myself quite behind in music and recording. Not to fear as I'm very motivated to learn, learn, learn.

Thanks to guys like you who are not only very knowledgeable but also extremely patient and gracious with your time.

I really appreciate all your input.

Cheers,

Ken

no need for textedit et al, as has been said

when you reply to a post, the previous posts are available underneath the empty box you are typing your reply into...just scroll down and select, copy and paste directly from there

p.s i see someone already beat me to the "whoah, you're a real pilot" comment :lol:

See at the top of your reply panel, there is a list of tags - if you highlight a passage of text then click "Quote" it will wrap that highlighted text in the quote tags....

Thanks Ruari, I didn't know that!

You said that a while back when I posted something similar!

:shock:

:D

(Think it was you....).