Preamp/headphone splitter question

I have a really simple setup: Macbook w/Logic, a small MAudio interface, and a couple of mics. Let's say I'm recording a musician in a booth with a click track, and I want to listen in on what they're hearing in headphones. I know the stupid way to do that is with a headphone splitter.

What's the right way to do it? Should I get a Headphone Pre-Amp with 2 or 4 channels? When big Hollywood studios record an 80-piece orch, how do they get every musician headphones with a click-track?

Let's say I'm recording a musician in a booth with a click track, and I want to listen in on what they're hearing in headphones.

Who are they? :?

Should I get a Headphone Pre-Amp with 2 or 4 channels?

You should get as many channels as you need different headphone mixes. For example if all the band can use the same headphone mix, but the singer needs his own headphone mix, you need 2 channels: one for the singer, the other for the rest of the band.

When big Hollywood studios record an 80-piece orch, how do they get every musician headphones with a click-track?

Send one headphone mix with the click-track to your 80 musicians. If some musicians need their own mixes, then make different headphone mixes and route them to those musician's headphones.

Let's say I'm recording a musician in a booth with a click track, and I want to listen in on what they're hearing in headphones.

Who are they? :?

Fair enough - bad grammar is bad :) I want to listen to what this particular musician (he or she) is hearing, in order to follow along.

The substance of my question is in what hardware I need in order to split, though. Is that one of the functions of a pre-amp?