Mixing MIDI vs. Audio

rolandkeys88

Workflow questions for you - do you think it's better to mix (volume, panning, eq, compression, reverb, etc) MIDI tracks or bounce in place MIDI tracks as audio and then mix? If I mix in MIDI, then bounce in place, do the effects/mixing settings get bounced as well?

I've been having some major CPU issues and wondered if it's happening because of the plugins used on the MIDI tracks.

Just looking for feedback on this topic.

Workflow questions for you - do you think it's better to mix (volume, panning, eq, compression, reverb, etc) MIDI tracks or bounce in place MIDI tracks as audio and then mix?

No difference.

If I mix in MIDI, then bounce in place, do the effects/mixing settings get bounced as well?

It depends whether or not you selected "Bypass Effect Plug-ins" in your Bounce in Place window.

I've been having some major CPU issues and wondered if it's happening because of the plugins used on the MIDI tracks.

The easiest and best way to deal with CPU intensive tracks is to freeze them: Control-click the track header and choose "Freeze", then click the snowflake button on the track header to freeze the track. The track will be rendered next time you press play.

There are some advantages to printing your MIDI synth and sampler tracks to audio however. For archiving particularly....

1. You can work on the project in other DAW applications.

2. When the 3rd party synth plug-in that you used is no longer supported because the developer lost his business in a divorce settlement, or died, or just got a new hobby, and you're now using OS XII Cheshire with Logic 14........

Definitely agree with fader8: I always render everything to audio prior to archiving.

There's another exception: some synths and effects are non-linear. If you want predictable results with non-linear sound sources or processing, you need to bounce to an audio file. Note that for processing this also goes with audio sources: if you have an audio track with a non-linear effect on that track and want a predictable result, you'll need to bounce that track with the effect to a new audio file.

An example of that is, if I produce a dance track, and say I use a synth to produce a kick drum sound that is played on every beat. The MIDI may trigger a sound that is not exactly the same every beat, because that may be the nature of the particular synth I'm using for that kick. If that's the case I'll bounce a few kicks to audio, chose the best one, cut it, put it on an audio track and repeat it. That way all my kicks are identical.