IR Sample VS Synthesized IR, in Space Designer

Devon8822

I'm not trying to get onto an argument with you about it but in my experience it's the ones who take their search for perfection & quest for knowledge that little bit further who make it to the top, whatever their chosen game is.

I also appreciate not everyone wants to make it to the top of their game & are happy to be participating.

....You're right. Look at anyone who is at the top of their game - Seb Vettel for example, he's teutonically dedicated (and still manages to be a great guy with a sense of humour) - Formula One World Champion 2010 & 2011, if anyone didn't know.

Me? At 64yo I'm happy to be participating and following my own path somewhat organically wherever that takes me. In the studio this morning, on the forum this afternoon, editing/mixing this evening.

....I don't think I'm being wilfully ignorant but merely challenging other points of view which seem to rely so much on studying the science - Putting it before the art - Though neither is wrong.

It's not in any way putting science before art. It's analogous to a painter being aware that mixing red and blue will give him purple, rather than having to try out yellow and brown first.

I don't understand how Logic etc becomes more enabling if you have a little knowledge of its history, but that's another topic.

I obviously didn't explain myself well.

All I was saying was that knowing how something works makes you better able to use it.

I have never come across a situation where the inverse is true.

I just want to say that thanks to everyone posting, this discussion is very interesting and I'm learning something from it and shall take more notice of the details of Space Designer in future. I still don't warm to its interface though.

Hopefully other readers will learn something from this thread too.

:D

I don't understand how Logic etc becomes more enabling if you have a little knowledge of its history, but that's another topic.

I obviously didn't explain myself well.

All I was saying was that knowing how something works makes you better able to use it.

I have never come across a situation where the inverse is true.

....It's more likely that I didn't understand properly!

I could debate the point about knowing how something works makes you better able to use it but it's possibly at the risk of becoming pedantic.

The first analogy that comes to my mind is that knowing how an air-fuel ratio is controlled doesn't make me a better driver. Understanding the effect of a turbocharger does help in certain circumstances. Knowing what tyre pressures to ride on is important, but if I know them in psi I don't need to know them in Bar.

What I'm saying/suggesting is that we don't all need to know a DEEP level of 'science'. But some hunger for it more than others.

I'll get my coat!.......

I still don't warm to its interface though.

That's a fair point, and it can have a big effect on how useable a plugin is.

....My criticism of Space Designer's interface is where the meander in this wonderful discussion started. Being a retired graphic designer I'm hardwired into interface (and eye-candy!) and it makes more difference to me than perhaps it should do.

That sounds like the ideal timetable to me :D

Me too, happy days! :D

....I consider myself very lucky but it's one of the benefits of being older and retired (and divorced!) - I have enormous freedoms.

This forum is extremely helpful and I appreciate the reasoned calm in discussions :D

The first analogy that comes to my mind is that knowing how an air-fuel ratio is controlled doesn't make me a better driver. Understanding the effect of a turbocharger does help in certain circumstances. Knowing what tyre pressures to ride on is important, but if I know them in psi I don't need to know them in Bar.

What I'm saying/suggesting is that we don't all need to know a DEEP level of 'science'. But some hunger for it more than others.

I'll get my coat!.......

Ok, I guess it depends on how much control you want over your tools, and how much you're willing to rely on other people's opinions as to what's best for you as a consumer (whether that's Logic presets or car manufacturers).

With increased knowledge comes an increasing ability to creatively use those tools.

I bet Seb Vettel knows quite a bit about how air-fuel ratio is controlled.

What, like demanding the band travel to the Grand Canyon to record the backing vocals? :lol:

.... :lol: Loving that idea! Any excuse to get out there, eh. Though I much prefer Canyon de Chelly.

But for an adventure in sublime diffusion, Bryce Canyon's hoodoos are just the ticket!

....I don't think I'm being wilfully ignorant but merely challenging other points of view which seem to rely so much on studying the science - Putting it before the art - Though neither is wrong.

It's not in any way putting science before art. It's analogous to a painter being aware that mixing red and blue will give him purple, rather than having to try out yellow and brown first.

And that's the crux of the biscuit. The only limitation an artist has is the ignorance of their craft.

Ok, I guess it depends on how much control you want over your tools, and how much you're willing to rely on other people's opinions as to what's best for you as a consumer (whether that's Logic presets or car manufacturers).

With increased knowledge comes an increasing ability to creatively use those tools.

I bet Seb Vettel knows quite a bit about how air-fuel ratio is controlled.

....I bet he does too! But he's a professional and young with ambition. My tuner looks after my air-fuel ratio and my limitations are an occasional trackday rather than a F1 career or even a racing licence. I know what an air-fuel ratio is but not how to control it. It's in the realms of electronics and my eyes glaze over.

You emphasised the word creatively and that's the kernel of this discussion. At this stage I find I'm happy and sufficiently satisfied to rely on presets and perhaps some minor tweaking of attacks and decays but not get into oscillators and mathematics.

I find there's so much to learn in music production without trying to be creatively different.

And that's the crux of the biscuit. The only limitation an artist has is the ignorance of their craft.

....As long as you realise that being extensively versed in your craft doesn't necessarily make you a great artist.

["you" being generic rather than aimed at you personally!]