2Bus Compression ITB or hardware?

Ok guys, i dont know if only technical questions are discussed in this forum, but i give it a try:

I´m thinking about a 2bus Compressor as hardware like the TK Audio BC1 (http://www.mercenary.com/tkabc1.html).

Would you say that its a good idea to invest the money? Esp. if i have no other outboard gear (like analog summing, ,,) , does it make sense then? Or should i stay ITB and buy a plugin like "The Glue" from Cytomic?

Or should i stay with logic? Does Logic have a good compressor plugin for this purpose (Stereo Master Bus compressor to glue the mix and "sound like a record":)) ???

Thanks

Logic's compressor is excellent. I do not mean to offend, but if you have to ask that question, then you would be wasting the money buying the piece. There's SO much you can do with Logic, ITB, that you should only invest the money once you've exhausted the possibilities in Logic and determined that you need something else. Most of the people who add hardware to their rig make that decision not because the hardware is better than the software, but because it brings a different color. One more choice on your palette.

Also... what are your recordings' destination? What are you mixing? TV? Movies? Music? For websites? mp3s? CD? Are you going to hire a mastering engineer to master your work, or are you doing your own mastering? Have you ever mastered anything before?

Yeah, i can understand your philosophy,

i just want to hear some opinions.

In some points your right: you can do SO much in Logic. But i wont wait till i know all possibilities within Logic till i buy some outboard gear.

There is the other way around this: to test some gear and make some comparisons..

In the end i still can decide and sell the stuff i dont need...

And yeah, youre right: You need gear for colours (and thats taste in the end).

For example the Apogee Duet 2 has an excellent preamp, and if i record electric guitar with it, i get every nuance of the tone BUT i´m glad i bought the Chandler Germanium preamp cause it adds some warmth/dirt/3rddimension to the sound which i cant achive with the Apogee and Logic plugins...

So, i have the same question in my mind with 2bus compression...

If i read in the advertisment that you get that "sound like a record" with that BK1, i just want to ask people here is it true to a degree !

The other part of this equation is that you have to have really stellar converters to appreciate what any advantages outboard gear will provide. Anything less and your likely getting the "color" from your converters rather than the actual device. But that's not always a bad thing either!

I completely understand the creative appeal of buying a new box, but I think it's more the skill & experience you bring to your projects that makes them sound like a record. I would say you should demo some nice plugin compressors/limiters on your 2bus & see if they might be useful to you... but also keep in mind that there's a ton of freebie plugs around (as well as, of course, Logic's plugs) that are great, and with creative application (like parallel compression, etc.), will easily do what you need.