Logic 9.1.6 freezes when trying to open projects?

djleejordan

C) If you have a poor WiFi signal /Internet connection then Logic keeps trying to 'call home' first before carrying on.. causing the SBOD effect.. though for legit users it seems it is only a delay and not a true SBOD

But I do get the SBOD. The unresponsiveness lasts 10 to 15 seconds and the beach ball appears somewhere in the middle of that time frame.

Anyway, not a big deal for me.

Apple, fix it if you like 8)

J.

B) If you used Little Snitch (or another firewall type program) to block Logic or one of the plugins to prevent them 'calling home' then you get this issue with SL... (and maybe Lion too but I haven't had enough data one way or the other to confirm this)

I routinely run Little Snitch on my machine so I can keep control of the information flow in and out of my machine, and Logic is by default blocked - for instance I had to explicitly allow it to check out the "Download additional content" feature.

And I have not had any of these hangs on SL with 9.1.6, whether I'm connected to the net or not, or whether Logic's net access is blocked or not.

For legit users of Logic and SL.. you see a small delay until Logic completes the check so long as your internet connection is ok..

It may be related to the AppStore - I have had other applications purchased via the AppStore that won't run from time to time unless I log in to the AppStore and authorise them - but this must only happen for AppStore versions, otherwise there is nothing to check (eg, you may not have an AppStore account).

Dunno, I'm not convinced of anything yet. But this is the first instance someone has said it was fixed by going online - but I'm sure other people with this hang probably also have net connections active, so again I'm not convinced...

Of course people won't do it, but it would be cool if people with cracked versions would tell where they took it, so we could pinpoint the cracked version that gives this SBOD.... :lol:

For my part, i don't remember the first time i did run 9.1.6 if my WiFi was on or not, but i can confirm that i used(opened, i should say in this case) Logic with and without theWiFi on since the update and i didn't noticed any difference in the time it takes to load. If there's one, it's within 2 seconds max.

Blink

Interested in seeing where this is headed, but this thread has become REALLY confusing with all this talk about kracked copies. So could someone summarize the situation: is the problem specific to kracked copies of Logic, or has that not been determined yet?

I don't have a "cracked" version of Logic and I get the 10 to 15 second hang if the computer is connected to the internet.

J.

I don't want to accuse anybody here. My comment was just a bad joke.

Although, it would be cool, if it wasn't too much trouble for the forum admin., to require the Apple support ID we all get with official versions as a step to become a member here. So, we'd be sure to help legit users, for a while at least... just a thought.

P.S. Do new users of 9.1.6 from the App Store get these?

Blink

So could someone summarize the situation:

Ok.. I'll take a running jump at doing so.... Just don't blame me though, if I trip and fall... or stumble on occasion!!

To summarize, based on what I believe is happening and what further information I learned tonight after a fairly long'ish discussion with Apple. I am going to say, for the record, that I believe this to be a good 90% factually correct based on what i have been told, what I have read and what i have experienced via my own client's experiences and the pretty extensive troubleshooting i have done with them over the last week...

(And please.. jump in anyone else if you have any further ideas/suggestions)

There is an issue with 10.6.8 and 9.1.6 regarding how Logic "phones homes' to check and validate itself based on what is now the standard App Store security measures... and also the older "check if any other copies are running with the same serial' method employed prior to the App Store version being released. This latter method is supposed to be nullified in the current version but I think there are 'after effects' of this, that may not have been fully considered by Apple and/or Logic's Programming team... hence the issues.

With Legit copies of Logic and SL... if you have a WiFi connection rather than an Ethernet connection you get the SBOD for approximately 10-20 secs while Logic attempts to do it's check. Turn off WiFi and the check is automatically skipped.

With Legit copies of Logic and Lion, if you have a WiFi connection rather than Ethernet you get the same delay except it times out much quicker.. Usually in around 5 secs.

With Legit copies of Logic and both SL and Lion.. If you have an Ethernet connection and no WiFi on.. the delay is in the region of 1-2 secs normally (though at least 1 client of mine reported delays of at least 5 secs on a slow network connection.... ) and for many internet connections it is almost unnoticeable. Turn off Ethernet and there is no delay that is apparent... In other words, as is the case with the WiFi check.. turn off your net connection and the check is skipped.

With certain Non- Legit copies of Logic and SL there is a major issue caused by the way Logic was 'cracked' to remove the 'Check the network for other copies with the same serial'. If you have WiFi on.. you get a constant SBOD which is caused by the check never being skipped. Turn WiFi off and the check is skipped. This does not appear to happen if you are using Ethernet but I don't have enough information regarding that issue to confirm that at this stage. (I have had one client tell me he had no issue and one tell me he did!)

With certain Non-Legit copies of Logic and Lion the way Logic was cracked does NOT affect the new checks and so the issue is per the way a Legit copy of Lion and Lion interact.

However, there is another fly in the ointment... and that is, if you updated Logic via the App store (say from L8 to L9) or via the Software Update say from L9.1.5 to L9.1.6 as the two methods result in slight different versions of Logic's installation.

Please note, and again if I understood this correctly.. both methods of updating result in the same end result as far as Logic's own components are concerned but there are other elements of the installation routines in play and these elements are different depending on which method was used to update..and so have different consequences... not all of which are fully understood by Apple it seems.

This situation of different consequences depending on the method of upgrading was also seen in the issues many users had with ProKit when upgrading from Leopard to Snow Leopard.. and Snow Leopard to Lion.. and most tellingly...from one version of Snow Leopard to another. In that particular case if you updated via Software Update and did all the updates one by one as they were released your ProKit would update itself normally. However, if you updated from, say 10.6.0 straight to 10.6.8 via a file download the ProKit could fail to be updated correctly, resulting in the various "Logic won't start" or it crashes whenever I try to save something" kind of issues that have been raised here many times in the past.

Anyhow.. to get back to the plot......

Depending on which method of installation/updating was used you can get different results if you are using Cracked copies of Logic. Some work fine.. some fail to install correctly and some result in the constant and never ending SBOD as described above when used with SL...

Legit users of Logic and SL are going to have an issue with the WiFi & check bug.. until Apple fix it.. but it shouldn't result in a never ending SBOD.. just a longer than usual delay (10 to 20 secs) which can be circumvented by turning off WiFi..

Update: I left off one other important bit of info/advice for what it's worth......

You can have a legit copy of Logic installed but if you have certain other 'cracked software and/or plugins you can have issues too with Logic itself.

2 quick examples that i know about....

1) There was/is a cracked copy of Kontakt that broke Logic 9 when someone upgraded from L8 to L9 because the crack was done in part, to fool L8 and did not work with L9 and in fact caused all kinds of issues when updates to L8 to take it to L9 were performed.

2) There was/is a cracked copy of Aperture that installed an older version of Prokit causing issues with Logic 9...

I'm not here to judge anyone for running cracked software... I'm simply saying that if you use Logic in any form of professional manner or if making music is important to you then using cracked software of any kind on your Music Computer.. is taking a big risk and opening the doors to all kinds of issues.. that can prevent you from creating your music without lots of hassles and issues at different times.

Sorry n6smith but your reasoning makes no sense. Why? Because my copy of logic is 100% legit, and I had the problem even after removing ALL third party plugins and flushing the au cache meaning not a chance of anything cracked being in the au folder ( and I don't have any cracks anyway). So there you go. Now there was an issue with lil snitch, but I deleted all traces of that software and Logic 9.1.6 continues the beach ball of doom. I also know of at least one or two folks with cracked third party software and they have NO issue with logic 9.1.6.

But I will try the ol' turn off the wifi trick and see if that does anything.

PS I also made sure I had the latest version of prokit installed, Still no go.

J,

No.. I'm not noticing it with Lion..

Here is my theory as to what is going on...

I think it's doing a check for either the new app authentication or still checking for multiple Logics on the same network and somehow with SL, it has to do it a different way in comparison with Lion.. which is causing the delay issue..

Turning off network access prevents the check and so it just skips it..

Turning on WiFi (Or Ethernet) makes Logic do the check

But... :

A) If you have a cracked copy of Logic as i described earlier and you update it to 9.1.6.. the update makes Logic wait forever because of the way they cracked the 'phone home' feature of Logic..

B) If you used Little Snitch (or another firewall type program) to block Logic or one of the plugins to prevent them 'calling home' then you get this issue with SL... (and maybe Lion too but I haven't had enough data one way or the other to confirm this)

C) If you have a poor WiFi signal /Internet connection then Logic keeps trying to 'call home' first before carrying on.. causing the SBOD effect.. though for legit users it seems it is only a delay and not a true SBOD

For legit users of Logic and SL.. you see a small delay until Logic completes the check so long as your internet connection is ok..

So turning off Ethernet or WiFi skips the check for legit and illegit Logic users... in 9.1.6 and SL

Just a theory so far.. nothing concrete back from Apple to support this but the feedback/info I am getting back from clients and friends seems to support this...

Ok now we're onto something. In one of my SBOD loops, lil snitch was involved (even though I thought I had removed it). I had to run around my mac and get rid of it, but even so, I'm still having the problem and as in the read out I pasted in here a few posts ago, there is no trace of lil snitch anymore.

And once again, my version of Logic is 100% legit. But it is a boxed copy, not from the app store.

Guitarman,

If you re-read my summary post you will see that I described the issue that occurs with Legit copies of Logic too.. (a Bug of some kind) and that you should turn off WiFi to resolve it until Apple release a fix for it... which you have now done and from what you said, your issue is fixed. Not the ideal solution i agree but it's a usable workaround if nothing else..

However, can you clarify one thing for me.. Are you saying that AFTER you sorted out Little Snitch....

Your SBOD was still a constant one and it never stopped at all... or did it just go on for a while before you could use Logic?

Guitarman,

If you re-read my summary post you will see that I described the issue that occurs with Legit copies of Logic too.. (a Bug of some kind) and that you should turn off WiFi to resolve it until Apple release a fix for it... which you have now done and from what you said, your issue is fixed. Not the ideal solution i agree but it's a usable workaround if nothing else..

However, can you clarify one thing for me.. Are you saying that AFTER you sorted out Little Snitch....

Your SBOD was still a constant one and it never stopped at all... or did it just go on for a while before you could use Logic?

It never stopped. That last trouble report that I pasted in was post lil snitch.

Guitarman,

Ah ok.. well something else is blocking Logic from doing it's 'phone home' and preventing the 'Time Out' too..

So.. Have you checked your Hosts file in case some weird entry got put in there accidentally?

Have you looked in your Console logs to see if there is any clue as to what is happening when the SBOD is going round?

If you re-read my summary post you will see that I described the issue that occurs with Legit copies of Logic too.. (a Bug of some kind) and that you should turn off WiFi to resolve it until Apple release a fix for it...

So if the bug appears in legit versions of Logic, and hacked versions of Logic, then it's "just" a bug in Logic, and it whether or not Logic is cracked makes no difference - so can we stop all the talk about cracked versions now, please?

So, what makes this bug show up on Logic + SL for some folks, but not others? It doesn't happen for me, regardless of whether I have Little Snitch on or off, internet on or off, wifi, ethernet etc. So why doesn't it affect me, but so many others on 10.6.8..?

This is what we need to try and lock down, to make meaningful progress...

I'm on SL and i never got the problem since upgrading... and i have a legit Logic(just kidding, i won't go on that road again :lol: )

One thing i can say is that my OSX installation is plain vanilla. I don't have any plugins or apps for OSX that you see sometimes on Finder's menu bar of some people. Apart from a M$ plugin for QT that i downloaded so i could use Windows Media player files, my OSX is straight... And if the root of the problem is outside of Logic, we might never pinpoint it.

Blink

Beej,

Just to clarify...

There seems to be three main manifestations of this 'Phone home' bug in Logic..

1) In Lion.. a delay for less than 2 seconds.

2) in SL... a delay up to but usually no more than 30 seconds..

3) With certain 'cracked' Logics where the network check was disabled - The delay never resolves or ends.

In all cases it seems disabling WiFi and in some cases Ethernet.. skips the delay

The 'bug' itself and it's 'quick' fix seems to be the same no matter what.. (If you don't actually fix the true cause)

It's effects, depending on what OS and if Logic is cracked in a certain way.. are different.

Update: The problem with this particular bug is.. it's not affecting everyone who is using Legit copies of Logic. (I'm going to ignore the non legit issues from now on..)

I'm not seeing it with either SL or Lion for example so I think other factors are in play too like Network Connection Quality... Routers or other physical differences in Networks in use... Little Snitch or similar Firewalls being used... and probably others that I haven't personally come across as yet.

All I can say for certain.. is that with the clients I have worked with this week, to resolve this issue........ In every case so far, (With the exception of the two clients who were using cracked copies of Logic) one of those three possibilities I described in the previous paragraph, has been proved to be the cause of the delay and once fixed, resolved their issue... without the need to disable WiFi or Ethernet.

Edited by n6smith

J,

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=336564&sid=693ae274960929b61add997de85037ab

You'll see that has been seen before... prior to 9.1.6

Ok, so it's been seen before...that other thread doesn't even mention it. It's just there, in a log.

Any comments? (that's why I posted)

J.

Ok.. three comments..

It's not new in 9.1.6

As it's been around for a while (I've found comments regarding or including this going back to the middle of 2009) so I don't see a direct connection with the changes made to multi core usage in Logic.. if that was what you were intimating?

It wouldn't surprise me if Logic and MS share routines and so the fact this one is called Mainstage Mode is probably unimportant. There is a similar one called Logic Mode that I've seen in Console. Maybe that is used if MS is not installed?)

As it's been around for a while (I've found comments regarding or including this going back to the middle of 2009) so I don't see a direct connection with the changes made to multi core usage in Logic.. if that was what you were intimating?

Yeah, I thought maybe it had something to do with that...but guess not. :|

Thanks for satisfying my need for comments....OK, I'm preaching now :wink:

J.

• 3 months later...

I am having the same issue of Logic Pro crashing on boot. I just downloaded 9.1.7 and get the same issue.

This started about 2 months ago but I see that it has happened to other folks for the past 2 years.

Logic boots OK then I get the wheel of death and Force Quit shows "Logic Pro not responding".

I can get Logic to work if I deny Logic 'phoning home'. I wonder if the Apple database isn't corrupted somehow and has lost my serial info... a geek friend has suggested that...

I've been 'legit' since day 1 - C-Lab Creator days - remember that? - before Notator.

I'm running OS 10.6.8 and in 32 bit mode - don't run 64 bit as Jazz Font doesn't work in 64 bit and I do some music preparation work as well as audio production with Logic.

Any suggestions on what I could try to resolve this? It's not really serious as the program is working fine - just a nag on booting up.

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number Of Processors: 2

Total Number Of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05

SMC Version (system): 1.25f4

• 3 weeks later...

Help please !!

Same problem here (since the update to 9.1.7):

Logic is starting just fine but hangs as soon as the start screen disappears. The only thing I get is the darn wheel of death.

Tried everything: deleting prefs, starting without audio drivers and plugins, reinstalled the ProKit.framework etc... No go :(

By the way: it makes no difference if I allow Logic to connect to the net or not.

Then I installed the whole thing from scratch. Version 9.0.0 starts just fine, opens templates, new and old songs without problems.

I made a copy of version 9.0.0 and updated via Software Update straight to 9.1.7.

At the first start 9.1.7 hangs on initializing the loop browser. I found the "LogicLoopBrowser.framework" workaround. That did the trick with initializing the loop browser.

BUT it still hangs after and I get the wheel of death again :(

Oh and yes, I'm "legit" since version 6!!

Any ideas? Suggestions? I'm clueless here… :(

Edit: I just tried to open old projects by double clicking the files. Logic is starting and loading these files just fine. When I try to create a new song however – it hangs again.

Edit 2: It also hangs when I try to choose the template to load when opening Logic (in the general preferences).

Hi yucalab - I still have the same problem and I'm now on 9.1.7. I'm on Snow Leopard - you on Lion? At least I can work by denying Logic to phone home. I suspect an OS problem. The new wrinkle for me is that when I try to load a new song the program freezes but I can open a new song directly from a template. If this is not a common problem then it must have to do with our individual machines. Not much comfort of course. Let's hope someone who has solved it sees our flare...