Singer recording is delayed, best way to nudge back?

jasonwagner

So I was tracking a vocal and we were hearing the summed bounce I had done from earlier instead of the actual tracks. So when singing the singer was hearing a mix that was delayed by the round trip out to the summing box and back into Logic.

What is the best way to make sure I nudge that vocal track the exact amount of what the track they were singing to was delayed by?

Thank you very much!

The best way to figure this out would be to run the vocal (or any other track for that matter) from an output right back into an input on the interface. With software monitoring OFF and any and all plugins on that channel AND the stereo output disabled, record that looped-back signal onto a new track. Now put the new recording out of phase (using a gain plug on the new track, setting it to flip the phase). Next, insert a sample delay plug on that track and solo both the original track and the looped-back recording. Hit play and slowly increase the value of the sample delay until you hear the looped-back recording cancel out with the original. The number on the sample delay will be the exact number of samples you should offset the original by.