Wifey bought me some HS80M's for Christmas!

Andyreww

Wow! Very nice monitors - a couple of magnitudes better than the Samson R5e's I had.

We listened to a range of speakers the store it was a flip between M-Audios (harsher mid-range) and the HS80M's - they won

When I got the monitors set-up I realized they are close to my Grado headphones. So, no more mixing with the headphones then adjusting for the monitors.

Andy = Happy Bunny!

Merry Christmas! :D

(probably a lucky escape with the M-Audios too :lol: )

The M-Audio's didn't sound too bad - I listened to a commercial track and one that I had done. The M-Audio's had a more harsh mid-range, a hat in both tracks sounded ear piercing. the HS80M's seemed flatter across the range. Other models (you can guess which ones) sounded crap in comparison.

Wow! Very nice monitors - a couple of magnitudes better than the Samson R5e's I had.

We listened to a range of speakers the store it was a flip between M-Audios (harsher mid-range) and the HS80M's - they won

When I got the monitors set-up I realized they are close to my Grado headphones. So, no more mixing with the headphones then adjusting for the monitors.

Andy = Happy Bunny!

Which M-Audios were they?

Andy = Happy Bunny!

Which M-Audios were they?

M-Audio BX8 D2

• 4 months later...
I had to comment about the comparison between the M-Audio and the HS80M monitors. They are in no way comparable or in the same league. You'll never see any professional use those BX8 monitors, they're ok for listening back and that's where their capabilities end. You chose the right ones, the Yamahas are professional grade quality and will enable you to create a mix that translates very well no matter what you play it on. Enjoy!

I just wanted to comment on the Wifey buying you those great monitors...

Back in the late 80s - my wife bought me a pair of NS-10M Studio monitors for Christmas. I knew they were considered to be top notch because I'd been doing a lot of recording in New York studios, and I saw them in so many of them.

She later told me that when she was buying them (I think she said at Sam Ash or Manny's Music) the guy told her what a lucky guy her husband was. We're still together - and I still feel lucky.

I've still got those Yamahas... and use them all the time. Hope your's last as long.