Feedback from the first MS 2.2 users please!

ensho

Hello all,

it would be great if MS 2.2 users could share their first impressions of the new software. I would be very interested to hear if and how much the performance is improved by better use of all the cores. Is the CPU maximum lower? And, of course, any other impressions or comments.

Thanks in advance, brave warriors in maiden software territory!

Cheers,

ensho

CPU maximum lower? And, of course, any other impressions or comments.

I loaded 2.2 on one of my machines to test it - and only had about an hour to run a couple of concerts I've got set up. I noticed right away that the CPU level meter was sitting almost half way up no matter what I loaded. That's with the file just sitting still.

Interestingly, when I played some of the software instruments - including Sculpture, the meter didn't move at all. It seemed like nothing I did caused the CPU level to change.

That's it so far.

Interestingly, when I played some of the software instruments - including Sculpture, the meter didn't move at all. It seemed like nothing I did caused the CPU level to change.

The CPU load is actually measured more accurately in MainStage 2.2. Yes, it can show a higher base-load, but that doesn't mean anything. The interesting point is: how much can you do before the audio _stops_? And MainStage 2.2 also fails more gracefully: e.g. instead of actually stopping completely, it rather accepts some crackle, if the CPU is at it's limit.

Hi kids. Complete newbie here, both to MS and the forum.

MS loaded nicely onto the MacBook Pro the 1st time. It figured out I had attached an M-Audio ProKeys EX88. The split feature seems to work. I'm debating whether or not to program our classic rock band's sets into MS and abandon the Triton and Motif rack mounts this weekend. Sounds won't be exactly the same, but I would guess that comes with time.

I have some questions about MS, but am a lowly newbie, and don't want to offend seasoned forum vets with ignorance. Please let me know where these questions may be safely spewed.

Oh, so no words like S%$$, or F#@&%(? Ha

Main question, to this point, is how to get GarageBand sounds (or any other sounds, really) into MS. Telling me would be easy, and get me off the forum and back into Mom's basement for awhile (!), but telling me WHERE to find out how to do this will get me reading, and asking fewer newbie questions. I'm sorry, not finding it on my own.

Thanks in advance, kids. This seems a much simpler system than dragging around cases full of rack mount units and tinkertoy stands. Keys, computer, JBL's. Shazam. Liking it so far...

This is a really interesting app. I love how it's configured for live sets- issue I'd like to see is how the heck I can initiate a MIDI file to play back on a channel? You can play audio clips but no MIDI. I have external keyboards which I would love to layer and sync to some automation while I solo live, etc.

Is there an action you can program?

I'd like to see is how the heck I can initiate a MIDI file to play back on a channel? You can play audio clips but no MIDI.

Hi

This function has been added to v2.2, though I have to say it's not exactly 'well-implemented'

From the new 2.2 manual p72:

"You can also send MIDI messages, including SysEx and continuous control messages, to your connected MIDI hardware devices using an external instrument channel strip. The Channel Strip inspector includes a Send MIDI File control where you can select a standard MIDI file with the information you want to send.

The MIDI file is sent immediately to the port selected on the external instrument channel strip. The MIDI file is re-‐sent on patch change just like the other options in the Channel Strip inspector (such as Program Change or MIDI Clock messages).

Only SMF (standard MIDI file) types 0 and 1 are supported. MIDI files are sent sequentially, one at at time, per concert. If you switch rapidly through several patches that send long MIDI files, the MIDI files are queued and sent in succession. MIDI messages are sent at the tempo stored in the MIDI file."

The problem for me is that there is NO WAY to STOP the file once initiated

CCT

(Look again at page 37 in "Exploring Mainstage.")

You, sir, are a genius. I have quit both bands I'm in, and am headed to your house to join yours. Got a couch I can crash on?

For real, that was the data tidbit I was missing. Thanks very much.

Something else I'm missing (just a little thing), out of all the instruments in MS and GB: Harmonica? Am I just missing that too? I've invented one out of some woodwind sounds.

Just had an instance where the MacBook couldn't keep up with MS, but I had 7 channel strips playing different instruments across 7 different layers. And, I hadn't saved my setup yet. Probably just spooked it a bit.

As a total newbie, I must say MS 2.2 is pretty comprehensive, sounds great, and much less heavy than my rack mount modules. Now that Lookatthisguy hooked me up, I'm a happy camper, and can't wait to try this out this weekend. Thanks, Forum, for the facts!

Only SMF (standard MIDI file) types 0 and 1 are supported. MIDI files are sent sequentially, one at at time, per concert. If you switch rapidly through several patches that send long MIDI files, the MIDI files are queued and sent in succession. MIDI messages are sent at the tempo stored in the MIDI file."

The problem for me is that there is NO WAY to STOP the file once initiated

This feature is to configure external hardware, if necessary, on patch change. In most cases program change and/or bank select are just fine, but in rare cases you might want to send some custom MIDI data.

It doesn't try to be a MIDI file player to play a nice tune via MIDI. It is not a MIDI sequencer, doesn't deal with timing, etc. And because of that, it doesn't need a way to stop. That probably would be really bad for configuration purposes, because you would end up with a half-configured device.

I did a duo gig last night with Mainstage and it crashed twice during different times. I wasn't doing any tweaking, just performing on the keys as usual. The old version work flawlessly. I've got an 8gig MacBook Pro quad, 7200 rpm drive. No reason or excuse to crash. FYI, be warned.

I did a duo gig last night with Mainstage and it crashed twice during different times. I wasn't doing any tweaking, just performing on the keys as usual. The old version work flawlessly. I've got an 8gig MacBook Pro quad, 7200 rpm drive. No reason or excuse to crash. FYI, be warned.

Do you have a crash log for MainStage? They are automatically stored in ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

(Look again at page 37 in "Exploring Mainstage.")

You, sir, are a genius. I have quit both bands I'm in, and am headed to your house to join yours. Got a couch I can crash on?

Not much of one, and it's been pretty well overslept, if you will, but it's there… :lol:

Something else I'm missing (just a little thing), out of all the instruments in MS and GB: Harmonica? Am I just missing that too? I've invented one out of some woodwind sounds.

There's one in there somewhere… it's not called a harmonica though, so it's a little hard to find. Maybe mouth harp?

Hi

This feature is to configure external hardware, if necessary, on patch change. In most cases program change and/or bank select are just fine, but in rare cases you might want to send some custom MIDI data.

I completely agree, Having the facility to send out RPN/NRPN, sysex messages and the like is a really handy addition.

And because of that, it doesn't need a way to stop. That probably would be really bad for configuration purposes, because you would end up with a half-configured device.

Again, I completely agree. In the context of sending out a series of "configuration" messages such as sysex, stopping transmission midway through could be a disaster.

It doesn't try to be a MIDI file player to play a nice tune via MIDI. It is not a MIDI sequencer, doesn't deal with timing, etc. And because of that, it doesn't need a way to stop.

Here, I'm afraid I have to disagree :-(

Given that the MIDI transmission capabilities added with v2.2, where type 0 and 1 SMF's are supported and (to quote from the manual), "MIDI messages are sent at the tempo stored in the MIDI file.", there is indeed the capability to transmit "tempo-dependent" files.

Whilst I do agree that MS is not intended to be a MIDI sequencer, surely you'd have to agree that SMF file transmission could be extremely useful in a performance setting: automated lighting/show control, automated video playback control. Indeed, one may want to use it to automatically control external gear using 'timed' PG messages, or even MS itself (bypass plugs, mute channels, and the like).

SMF playback may not just be for "playing back a nice tune".

Under these sort of circumstances, the inability to stop transmission of the file once initiated would be a disaster too. The only way to stop transmission at the moment is to completely quit MainStage.

I feel that omitting some kind of start/stop function to this feature is a "missed opportunity". You may think differently.

CCT

Hi

I think it is designed to stop when it reaches a SMF's End of MTrk message.

http://midi.mathewvp.com/aboutMidi.htm

and/or a sysex's end of data 0xF7

Thanks for the info ;-)

Currently, if you load a MS patch which has an SMF 'attached', the SMF plays through from start to finish. Other than quitting MS, there is no way to stop the file playing. The SMF's do indeed play through to the end of the file each time, and if more than one have been sent, they all play through sequentially (no pun intended)

Should you call up one patch, then call up a second (with another SMF attached), both are placed in the buffer.

Even whilst you are in Edit mode, getting the whole Concert together, changing Patches sends out the SMFs. Simply assigning a file to be played automatically sends it to the output buffer.

Assuming that you actually managed to assemble a 'working' Concert, imagine the situation, when performing, where you inadvertently call up the wrong Patch, or, though it would 'never happen', the bandleader changes his/her mind which tune to play next??

Having not tried this yet.. Does it not stop at the end of a SMF or are you asking for a way to stop it sooner than the end?

Yes, it does stop at the end of the SMF.

I am asking for it a) not to send out a file whilst I am assembling the Concert (until I tell it to send them), and b) it would be extremely useful to be able to stop them being sent (i.e. clear the buffer) in the event of a mistake during performance, or a desire to (quickly) check that all is well with the Concert itself.

Surely, there should be some form of Start/Stop/Clear function, and a way of emptying the buffers?

Try it... you'll see what I mean.

As a "config" only utility (as previously discussed), the current setup might be OK-ish, but....

CCT

Process: MainStage [286]

Path: /Applications/MainStage.app/Contents/MacOS/MainStage

Identifier: com.apple.mainstage

Version: 2.2 (419.23)

Build Info: MainStage-4192300~1

App Item ID: 459585276

App External ID: 4083254

Code Type: X86 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [101]

Date/Time: 2011-12-14 22:51:25.337 -0800

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)

Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Application Specific Information:

objc[286]: FREED(id): message _removeAllCellMouseTracking sent to freed object=0x40ef9020

Edited by mididiot

So far so good running my old concerts. Seems to be steadier on the CPU load. Also seems to load concerts with heavy asset loads a bit quicker. At least it didn't seem to take the usual 30-60 sec's to load my main concert.

Here's hoping the direct hardware mapping is what I hope it is. I can't wait to get back all the real estate that went to unnecessary channel strips. Kinda terrified that Sooperlooper support is broken, though. I'll check tonight. Maybe I'll get a Christmas miracle and SL will work in 64bit mode!

Doug,

Apple are currently trying to fix the "Have to load support pages twice" bug that has afflicted their servers recently so it's offline now..

However.. All you need to do is open MS 2.2 and go to the help menu.

Click on Help and then click on Mainstage Help

Click on the Mainstage manual link at the top on the right hand side..

On the top left hand side of the new window that opens.. there is a link to click on to download as a PDF...

Hey Presto.. one MS 2.2 Manual... to save to your computer..

Hi guys - thanks for the tips. I'm good with using the Help Menu and I did notice the revision dates. I did download a PDF of of the manual - good with that.

The PDF manual originally opened up as the old 2.1.3 manual - I'm not sure if I clicked on the wrong file, or somehow it linked to old one in the same folder or what....

So I'm good now.

One last comment- in Preview, try searching for standard MIDI file or smf - I get nothing...? I thought the PDF search function was appreciably better than that??!!