What's happening to Waveburner, Soundtrack Pro etc?

The only way to get Soundtrack Pro and Waveburner is to buy the boxed version of Logic Studio (if you can find it), so the question is whether or not you definitely need those apps.

There are other standalone 2 track editors and CD burning apps out there, ranging from free (Audacity) to what some might consider overpriced (Bias Peak / Toast).

Personally I use Amadeus Pro as a standalone audio editor, but I'm sure others will have alternative suggestions:

http://www.hairersoft.com/pro.html ($60)

You can edit audio and export all kinds of file formats in Logic Pro, of course, and then just drag into iTunes to burn a disc, so you may find you don't need any extra software at all.

I'm just about up enough on funds to buy Logic, but I was wondering if it was worth buying a boxed version with Waveburner and such included or is everything I need in Logic Pro on the app store?

These products are clearly End-of-life and I wouldn't expect any further updates, etc. for them. Why would you spend $300 extra on them instead of just buying the App Store versions of Logic/MainStage?

Sorry, should have been clearer.

Can I effectively record, mix AND master my tracks and arrange them into a CD format without Waveburner?

EVerything you mentioned can be done in Logic EXCEPT finalizing an audio CD. However, you can always import these tracking into itunes and burn a CD, but you do not have ability AFAIK to adjust the spacing of songs, add CD text, etc in itunes, like you can in waveburner.

I really hope they are not discontinuing Waveburner. Its really a great program. If they do, I'm hopeful another program will grab the market.