My fist ever complete song!

JetLab

Still have work to do on this song but It's the first song I've ever completely written. I'm a real newbie at music but none the less I'd like to hear your honest assessment as to it's content. Vocals are on the way. Keys were a last minute addition that I'm not so sure I'll keep.

Thanks all

Cheers,

Ken

Well played and well recorded. Great job for a first venture!

My one constructive critique would be the drums - they sound very stiff, and dynamically controlled - the kick has the same impact every time its played, the snare the same> Sounds like a drum machine. And it may be a stylistic choice to not have hi-hats or ride (or any cymbals for that matter) in the track, but if you added them to say, the second verse, it would give the track a sense of gaining momentum. I have to admit, i'm not sure if there were hats in the middle, but if there were, they are way down in the mix.

And that middle was quite a nice twist! Overall, i love the sound and layering of the guitars, and thought all of the tones worked very well together.

Keep 'em coming!

Hey Chimpotle,

I really like your input regarding the drums. I agree with the stiffness and drum machine sound. I've only been playing guitar for about 2 years so writing the drums was a total struggle. I took some grooves from Kit Core and did some midi editing on the fly and that's what I came up with. I agree that adding cymbals in the middle will give the song momentum. Thanks a lot for mentioning that as I wasn't seeing it myself.

I do appreciate your kind remarks as well. Being new to this has been daunting. Your constructive criticism and kind words give me the opportunity to grow and gain confidence at the same time.

I will post the edited drums when I get them up. Also working on the melody for the vocals.

Hey Ken, I'll continue the conversation here...

Don't sweat the similarities to the Aeroplane chorus, I'm sure once the vocals are done it will sound even less like it. Plus, most pop songs have a shared heritage! I just found it particularly amusing, considering your career...

Really good for a first effort, looking forward to hearing the new drums and vocals!

I'm a drummer, and Chimpotle's reply was on the money. But, I suggest concentrate on the vocal first. All truly great drummers work off the vocal, as it's their job to support the lead( any lead for that matter). Have a listen to Alejandro Sanz MTV Unplugged. Mr. Colaiuta on the drums, perfect bed for Al's vocals, clams and all.

Keep at it Ken.

Cheers.

Thanks Carlos. I've been hearing that the drums really play off the vocals. Being a newbie I never really knew this and in fact I'm fascinated to gain an intricate knowledge of how this interchange works and feels. Thanks for the suggested listening. I'm going to dive into that big time.

Cheers

I just found it particularly amusing, considering your career...

LOL, fortunately I've progressed far enough into my career as an airline pilot that I fly international routes which afford me a lot more time off due to gaining more flight time in a shorter amount of days. I've always aspired to play guitar and write music but wanted something more stable before devoting my efforts to learning music. I'm older now but I have time and a lot of desire. Everything about me is about music now. I play guitar 4-5 hours a day, study music, and take lessons with an awesome guitar teacher who has also stretched me into playing bass and keyboards, though both are very limited for me as I'm sure you heard. He also wants me to play drums believing it will make me a better guitarist. I don't go out on 1 and 2 day layovers anymore as I bring a guitar and my portable studio with me on all my trips. I guess you could say I'm addicted to this. I have a long, long way to go but I love it and I'm very motivated to learn from guys like you. I really appreciate your honest input.

Cheers,

Ken

I have a long, long way to go but I love it and I'm very motivated to learn from guys like you. I really appreciate your honest input.

Hehe, honest input is all I've got, as for learning from me, hearing my stuff and thinking "I could do that better" is the best I could hope for!

I agree with your teacher about learning some drums to improve your guitar playing BTW, there's plenty of guitarists out there who seem awesome until you need them to play in time. Great for left-right coordination too.

I agree with your teacher about learning some drums to improve your guitar playing BTW, there's plenty of guitarists out there who seem awesome until you need them to play in time. Great for left-right coordination too.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this works. My teacher is also a really good drummer so I trust him. Going to get a practice pad and some sticks tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted.

I noticed you signed up to follow my music cloud and I'm going to follow you as well. Don't expect a whole lot of music from me quickly as it took me a long time to put this song together. I tend to labor over the process. Trial and error and listen and re-writes galore. I plan to write in a lot of different styles to broaden my horizons on my path to finding my voice plus I'm really into a lot of different styles.

I'm looking forward to listening to your music.

Cheers,

Ken

You say that now, you're probably at the best perspective of my music that you're going to get! :lol:

LMAO

Dude,

You're music kicks ass. Just took a listen to Incidental and Rabbit Hole and I really like it. Wish I could write that intricately. I like that it's very original sounding and textured. Just a quick comment after a quick listen. I just got onto Sound Cloud today so I am not sure how to leave a comment on any of your individual tracks.

PS How do you come up with all that's going on in Apophenia? It's freaking wild man, love it.

Dude,

You're music kicks ass. Just took a listen to Incidental and Rabbit Hole and I really like it. Wish I could write that intricately. I like that it's very original sounding and textured. Just a quick comment after a quick listen. I just got onto Sound Cloud today so I am not sure how to leave a comment on any of your individual tracks.

Thankyou very much! :D

To leave comments on the song timeline, click on the blue bar under the waveform.

PS How do you come up with all that's going on in Apophenia? It's freaking wild man, love it.

Do they do piss tests on your airline? :lol:

Do they do piss tests on your airline? :lol:

:lol: Yes, they sure do.

Do you mean I'll have to wait until retirement to relive my teen years of debauchery to expand my mind enough to come remotely close to what your tapping into there?

You know, I just noticed your Zappa comment (big fan) so I shouldn't be surprised

:D

You know, I just noticed your Zappa comment (big fan) so I shouldn't be surprised

:D

Well, he was about as straight as they come, apart from the copious amounts of coffee and cigarettes.

I live a pretty clean life these days too... Although a fair amount of "influence" still resides in some of my music.

Mostly it's the mind-expanding influence of trying to break out of common rock or electronic rhythms.

That's definitely appreciated the thought of breaking out of common rhythms. I am totally with you in that thinking though I'm way far from actually implementing this into my music. I'm just trying to groove right now and later mix it up when I gain some experience.

PS I wasn't always a pilot :twisted:

I think Ted Nugent had a leg up on him in the straight department :)