Metering Question (The Correlation Meter)

BWTFFAM

Hi everyone!

I just recently started producing some of my own songs...I don't have great ears so I try to do most of the job with tools like the correlation meter, the multimeter, etc.

What are some useful ways to get the correlation meter to near the +1 region? What is correlation exactly anyway? I know what the word means in general english but not exactly how that number is calculated.

Since the ways you can increase the correlation probably differ from song to song, let me just tell you that this particular song (usually I can make it hover around +1 effortlessly) I'm having trouble bit is a piano sonata. So a Piano (MIDI, unfortunately) is all it is. I added some reverbs etc. but those just reduced the correlation to almost -0.5 so I took them off.

Sorry for the long message. I appreciate your help and thanks for reading. :)

I really wouldn't worry about it.

If you are concerned about the stereo image, place a Gain plugin, after all effects but before the MultiMeter, on your Stereo-Out, then set it to mono.

I know you say you don't have good ears, but if something sounds good to you, why would you change that just because of a meter?

I think the manual does a good job of giving a basic description of the Correlation Meter: http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicstudio/effects/index.html#chapter=8%26section=4%26tasks=true

If you really want the correlation meter to stay at +1, don't use any stereo tracks.

I really wouldn't worry about it.

If you are concerned about the stereo image, place a Gain plugin, after all effects but before the MultiMeter, on your Stereo-Out, then set it to mono.

I know you say you don't have good ears, but if something sounds good to you, why would you change that just because of a meter?

I think the manual does a good job of giving a basic description of the Correlation Meter: http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicstudio/effects/index.html#chapter=8%26section=4%26tasks=true

If you really want the correlation meter to stay at +1, don't use any stereo tracks.

Thank you very much. The manual in general is fantastic.

I would trust my taste before any meters but the problem is, it doesn't sound good to me yet (Obviously, 'cuz it's just a garageband MIDI piano with reverbs and stuff).

What are some useful ways to get the correlation meter to near the +1 region?

Mix in mono. :wink:

Seriously, why would you want the correlation meter to be near the +1 region? That would mean your mix has a very narrow stereo image. Good for mono compatibility, but other than that....

Haha you are right, and now that I know what Correlation is and what the values mean, I don't want it to be anywhere near +1.

I just thought it had to be 'cuz I saw some guy say it should be in a 'how to mix' video on youtube, which I would do well to remember not to trust in anymore.

Anyways, many Thanks to you both. This Forum is a life-saver.