instruments out of tune

michael2

Bass notes are notorious for playing tricks on the human brain - the perceived pitch can differ (significantly) from the actual pitch. So what does the Tuner plugin report on that apparent flat note?

Another possibility is that the notes surrounding the flat sounding one ("context") are actually off (sharp), making the bass note appear flat.

This type of question always is much easier to answer with the actual few seconds of sound with the offending note, so everyone can "unleash their ears" on it.

Edited by Eriksimon

• 3 weeks later...

I found this post because I was having the "out-of-tune" problem, as well. (I noticed that both the E and F on the Steinway Piano were very close in pitch, but sounded like a bad Ragtime piano.)

I found/fixed the problem for me by going to:

File -> Project Settings -> Tuning, and changing it to "Equal Tempered."

Earlier this evening I had changed the project to "Fixed' and set the key to "A". This apparently caused the out-of-tune problem, but I'm still a Logic newbie, and unable to explain why.

Hope that helps!

Interesting how slightly out of tune instruments in a live setting are fine and can even add to the character, but they are not good in a virtual instrument.

I dunno, I don't think I've ever made an EXS instrument that was in tune!

So, were your tuning settings set to equal tempered? Did you check it with the tuner?

It seems plausible that the Reggae Bass samples are out of tune, but not so likely that sine waves would be. Maybe your ears need a tune-up? :lol:

okay, I finally got around to running them through a tuner. the reggae bass samples in the exs24 were spot on, I was hearing them out of tune for some reason.

but here's the weird thing: I also ran the EXS sine wave through Logics tuner and it took a second for the tuner to settle on the correct note, the virtual needle kind of swung in either direction before finally going to the correct note. when I ran the reggae samples through it, they immediately went to the correct note.

strange; or is it? what do I know. i'm just a guy who likes t write songs.

As Erik said, bass notes can often trick the ear into being out of tune when they're actually (or theoretically) in tune. Happens all the time. The EXS sine wave might take a minute to settle into the tuner based on the level of the note, plus the fact that tuners don't work as well with pure tones as they do with sounds that have some harmonic content (which sine waves lack entirely).

Regarding the samples you're using, is Reggae Bass a stock Logic sound? If so, I can't find it. In any case, it could be that just some of the samples are out of tune while others are in tune. In that case you'll need to go into the EXS instrument editor and make some adjustments. Then re-save the sound.

Meanwhile, suggestions: play your mix out of a variety of different speakers, but in particular, a pair of smaller ones. See if the bass sounds consistently out of tune in all of them. If it does then maybe it's just some isolated samples in that EXS sound.

Another way to test, on your regular speakers, is to put an EQ on your stereo output and roll off the low end (activate the high pass band at the left and turn up the frequency to 300 Hz or more. See if the bass sounds more in tune to you then.

As Erik said, bass notes can often trick the ear (...)

Another way to test, on your regular speakers, is to put an EQ on your stereo output and roll off the low end (activate the high pass band at the left and turn up the frequency to 300 Hz or more. See if the bass sounds more in tune to you then.

thanks, will try your suggestions. honestly I don't notice it very often, that particular song I was working on was pretty sparse and I think that is what brought it to my attention. The reggae bass is a stock sound, but can't remember if it is a GB instrument or a Logic instrument (it is in EXS/Factory Instruments I believe (about to go pick up the kids, so I can't open Logic right now). Thanks a bunch for your input everyone; even though it was more of a mystery than a nuisance.