Logic 9.1.6 and UAD = safe?

JT3_Jon

Hello,

I've heard rumors that UAD and Logic 9.1.6 do not work well together when bouncing. Can anyone confirm if there is a problem and what/if anything can be done?

I'm using UAD on a new mix and I already updated to 9.1.6! If I need to roll back to 9.1.5 (copied the program before updating to 9.1.6) will I loose all my work on my current mix?

Thanks.

Hello,

I've heard rumors that UAD and Logic 9.1.6 do not work well together when bouncing. Can anyone confirm if there is a problem and what/if anything can be done?

I'm using UAD on a new mix and I already updated to 9.1.6! If I need to roll back to 9.1.5 (copied the program before updating to 9.1.6) will I loose all my work on my current mix?

Thanks.

I haven't had any problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you guys running Logic in 64 bit mode?

I have been considering a UAD2 quad purchase, but am reluctant to spend the money when all of UAD's plugins are still 32 bit. I have heard that there are some issue when running these 32 plugs in particular on a 64 bit machine.

I run Logic 9.1.6 in 64bit mode. While I had some initial issues with a couple of projects that use the UAD, I could not pinpoint it to any specific plugin. In the end I chalked it up to a songfile that must have had some sort of corruption as it wasn't consistent and definitely hasn't happened again in files created in Logic 9.1.6.

Are you guys running Logic in 64 bit mode?

I have been considering a UAD2 quad purchase, but am reluctant to spend the money when all of UAD's plugins are still 32 bit. I have heard that there are some issue when running these 32 plugs in particular on a 64 bit machine.

I haven't had any problems so far in my current 32-bit mix. I have run UAD plugins in 64-bit sessions fine without problems. Just remember that since they are 32-bit, they must run in the bridge, which means you can only look at one GUI at a time. If you can work through this annoyance then go for it, as they plugins sound GREAT!

I personally always start my projects in 32-bit and only switch to 64 if I start running low on RAM.

edit: I see you said "64-bit machine" and NOT "64-bit project." UAD DOES boot up on 64-bit machines fine thanks to an update months ago. Perhaps the problems you read about were before this update came out?

edit: I see you said "64-bit machine" and NOT "64-bit project." UAD DOES boot up on 64-bit machines fine thanks to an update months ago. Perhaps the problems you read about were before this update came out?

Could be. That being said, I've read a lot of posts from UA users saying they would hold off buying any more UA products until all of the questions surrounding 64 bit and perhaps thuderbolt are resolved. The question is, if I decide to wait, what do I get to get some of the analogue sound? Kramer master tape?

[quote

I personally always start my projects in 32-bit and only switch to 64 if I start running low on RAM.

Same here. And i haven't had any bounce problems that i remember. But the "bridge" is a real PITA. It got to the point where i refused to buy any more UAD plugs till they can run in 64 bit. The good news is that Universal just announced that they will be upgrading all their plugs to 64 bit this year and it will be a free upgrade.

If you hate the bridge and are worried about this, you can run Logic in 64 bit for composing with all your libraries and soft synths and then bounce all the tracks to audio. Then save it, close Logic and re-open in 32 bit add the UAD plugs and re-bounce..

It will be great when they are 64 bit later this year but the fact that they rare not need not keep someone from the platform IMHO.