Frequent Disk too Slow Error?

gdgross

2011 MacBook Pro 17" quad core 8GB ram, 750GB internal HD only

Logic 9

Some internal plugins, some UAD plugins with the UAD solo-2 expresscard device

I'm getting the disk too slow error fairly frequently now. I've increased the buffer size to the max (1024) and frozen about half the tracks in the project. (usually I'll keep the original comp, bounce to a new track and do all my editing/plugins/etc on the new track, so I can get back to the original comp or takes if needed. Then I'll mute/freeze/hide the original comp/take folder track.)

The error is happening on multiple projects.

Do I need to move the audio to an external drive? If so, what's the best way? My interface is an apogee ensemble (uses the FW 800 port on the MBP) and typically I'll have a monitor plugged into the thunderbolt port when I'm tracking as I keep the MBP in another room since the fan gets a little noisy sometimes. That means I'd have to daisy chain, using either FW400 (ensemble only has FW400) or thunderbolt. (I assume there are thunderbolt HDs out there, but I haven't looked...) Would daisy chaining on the FW port affect the ensemble's performance in any way?

Thanks!

Geoff

OK got back to the computer this morning, and disabling UAD plugin instances didn't really reduce the frequency of the error much, as far as I could tell. So, I'm looking at purchasing an external FW or Thunderbolt drive. (looks like the thunderbolt drives are more expensive though...)

One quick thought though, would partitioning my internal HD and moving the audio to the new partition have the same effect? There's plenty of space on my drive and it's a 1TB so I've got plenty more.

Thanks!!

Geoff

Haha I posted this in the temp section, not realizing the new forum was almost up.

Ordered a G-tech 2TB FW800 external drive; this will be more than enough space for me I think.

What's the general advice on where to store sample libraries? Same external hard drive as the logic projects? Another external drive? Or keep them where they are on the internal drive?

I don't have a whole lot: kontakt, some kirk hunter stuff, some slate drum stuff. This and more would easily fit with the audio and the projects on the new drive; I just want to know what's considered the best method.

THanks!

Geoff

Cool, ill plan on transitioning the samples to an external drive then, too.

I'm working on a MacBook pro with one FW800 port, and I'll already be daisy chaining my audio interface and (now) external drive for audio/logic projects...think it would be ok to add another drive to the bus? Interface is an apogee ensemble and apogee recommends

It be the first device in the chain, which means that the bus will be running at fw400 as the ensemble only has fw400 ports.

Would USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 be fast enough? (do the mbpro USB ports even support usb 3.0 anyway?)

Thanks again!!

Geoff

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am just starting to build up my set up and I also quite often get this error message, I have the below iMac spec and also have an external 250gb hard drive with my samples saved.

2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

1920 x 1080 resolution

4GB (two 2GB) memory

500GB hard drive1

AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB

I have recently purchased a firewire sound card which is not yet connected, so just using headphones plugged directly into the imac at the moment (rubbish i know), could this be causing the issue.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Matt