Help with recording LFO modulation; changes in speed.

DubLogic19

Well as you may know in many dubstep songs changes in the rate of speed for LFO modulations such as on the ES2 are necessary. IS there a way to record changes in realtime? If not what is the best way to go about recording such passages with many changes in LFO speed? Dubstep experts I would love to hear from you. If any of this post isn't clear i'm very sorry.

Depends on the synth you're using. Search around the forum - there's someone here who was using another plug in Logic to do the LFO duties instead of the ES2 which apparently is a bit flaky in terms of getting the LFO to precisely do what you want it to.

But the basic principle is simple: you put the track in touch mode, turn on automation for that track and run it while moving the parameter of synth XYZ that controls the LFO rate. Once you've got some automation written, you can go in and manually redraw it to your liking.

You'll need to use a parameter that can sync to eights, triplets, 16th etc. Although you can also do it on the fly with a free running LFO; it's just harder to get predictable results that way.

• 2 weeks later...
Depends on the synth you're using. Search around the forum - there's someone here who was using another plug in Logic to do the LFO duties instead of the ES2 which apparently is a bit flaky in terms of getting the LFO to precisely do what you want it to.

But the basic principle is simple: you put the track in touch mode, turn on automation for that track and run it while moving the parameter of synth XYZ that controls the LFO rate. Once you've got some automation written, you can go in and manually redraw it to your liking.

You'll need to use a parameter that can sync to eights, triplets, 16th etc. Although you can also do it on the fly with a free running LFO; it's just harder to get predictable results that way.

If I understood how to do this it sounds very promising. Are there any video tutorials for this specific function out there? I would search myself but my internet time is very limited due to circumstances...

Some synths make this easy but not so much the ES2. But it can be done without too much hassle. The thing about the ES2 is that you can't assign LFO 2 to Modwheel control unless you do that outside the instrument, via Logic's Automation Quick Access. LFO 2 on the EXS2 has the nice sync rates that are in standard musical divisions like 16ths and triplets, which is what you want to be able to manipulate.

So if you have an ES2 preset where LFO 2 is controlling some part of the sound like cutoff or something else that can wobble, then here's one way you can use the ES2's LFO 2 that requires you to use the mouse directly on the LFO 2 control:

Turn on track automation view.

Put the track in Touch mode - that'll be under the 1st rectangular box above the track fader.

Touch.png.97a8c50ab6abe451895cccc63163c1b6.png

Record some notes in so you have some sounds to wobble against.

Now do a second pass on the track and move the LFO 2 control on the ES2 with your mouse while the track is playing.

686217911_LFO2.png.dfb192a5e1d81a8e90c4ad660ed75cfe.png

You'll see that the track is writing automation for that parameter.

220358649_Wobbleautomation.png.35ba717bf3853bbd782848e87f87bb4c.png

After you've written some automation, you can go in after and change it manually in the automation lane. You can see that even in the automation display, the note divisions are conveniently displayed - 1/16, 1/32, etc.

For this example I use a preset that someone here on LPH created, called Leo's dubstep.

And don't forget to try automating other parameters - like cutoff, FM amount, Wave file choice, etc - while the LFO2 is doing it's thing! You can get all kinds of timbral changes and even cross rhythms going with this extra automation.

• 1 year later...

If I understood how to do this it sounds very promising. Are there any video tutorials for this specific function out there? I would search myself but my internet time is very limited due to circumstances...

So it's really not that hard, I use Massive but if you're using the ES2 this is what you need to do. Go to the crazy looking routing matrix on the bottom. Apply the following parameters: Target: Cut 1 +2, VIA: OFF, SOURCE: LFO2. Change the LFO2 to what ever parmater you want and you'll get the wobble efffect. Please let me know if you or any others have any more questions. Happy to answer.