Question on Sound output settings on Mac.

I record music on an Imac (Snow Leopard OS10.6.8 ) with Logic pro & a Presonus interface.I had been having a lot of sound leakages such as crackling & popping on the interface.Recently someone suggested that I go to Audio devices & right click on it the built in ouput to select 'Play alerts and sound effects through this device' & when I did so the disturbing noises stopped.Recently I had to make some changes on the interface,disk repairs etc & the noise came back in unfortunately.I tried to do the same setting by going into Audio Devices & selecting Built in output options but suprisingly I am unable to select the 'Play alerts and sound effects through this device' options since it is not highlighted.In fact none of the 3 options are highlighted inorder to make a selection.Is there a way around so I can do what I did previously?

This is a long shot, but you might want to go into your interfaces settings and make sure that the clock source is set to "internal."

Besides that, my interface can be a little bit wonky when the connection isn't solid.

If your interface uses a USB connection make sure that it is plugged in directly and not through a USB hub.

If it is firewire, it is best not to daisy-chain it through a hard drive or FW hub.