Score Editor: Guides

Music Spirit

I like very much Guides on Selected Objects ( View>Guides>Selected Objects) to determine where a particular Chord Symbol is attached and I have this on all the time.

But I often find after copying and pasting a set of chords to bars further down the chart, that a particular chord symbol attaches itself to a note in the stave above. Now although this is not the end of the world, I like as a good working practise to have the chords anchored to the correct note in the bar ( even though visually they are sitting in the right place). It's just my kind of instinct to keep things tight in the score...

So my question is: how do you 're-assign' the guide of a chord to a local note in its own stave rather than some eccentric connection to a note miles away on the stave above?

Happy new year

Music Spirit

PS to David

.. and congratulations David on a wonderful revamp of the Forum. The new look is absolutely cool. Steve Jobs R.I.P. - whose biog I am devouring at the moment - would have approved. And probably head hunt you over to Apple to steal your cool interface... god knows how their not so recent remake of the the Logic Forum got past his wonderful talent for cool fonts and simplicity)

PS to David

.. and congratulations David on a wonderful revamp of the Forum. The new look is absolutely cool. Steve Jobs R.I.P. - whose biog I am devouring at the moment - would have approved. And probably head hunt you over to Apple to steal your cool interface... god knows how their not so recent remake of the the Logic Forum got past his wonderful talent for cool fonts and simplicity)

Thank you so much MS for your comments. After several nights in a row pulling the hair out of my head with pliers, I really do appreciate the incredible support all of you give me back. Makes it all worthwhile. :D Good luck with your Score Editor issue. I'll let users more familiar with the Score Editor answer you. :wink:

The guides are showing you what staff you pasted the chords to. Logic can be a little quirky that way - use the help tag information, not just the gui feedback. Sometimes you have to paste in a seemingly wrong spot and then move to where you want them.

Steve's comment of working just with one track (you said staff, but I think it's really track?) can simplify things. I find I will change the gap between tracks for adding info such as chords (especially a second verse of lyrics!) and then readjust upon completion of the task.

The gap IS the issue. Changing the gap IMHO is a drag because doing so changes the look of the score to satisfy a technical issue. That's why i suggest the double clicking solution above. It's a quick and efficient way to FOCUS the Score Editor on the staff you need to edit! I've successful created hundreds of scores this way.

Understood, and that certainly helps a lot. I think it's project specific.

I have also had numerous times where one track was focused and the gap between the staffs was too little to easily insert chords. This commonly occurs when there is no "score", just a one part lead sheet. And many times I have done lyrics for songwriters in the middle of a grand staff. There is no way to do the second verse and have the lyrics not align to the left had rhythms without creating a gap that is unsightly, assuring the lyrics are attached to the right hand melody notes.

Suggest entering chord symbols in Linear View (not Page View). This way there's no possibility of attaching a chord to the wrong staff (and as you've discovered, that's easily done ). Also, make sure that when you enter chords that their position always coincides with an existing note, regardless of whether it actually appears aligned with that beat. So if you have a chord on the downbeat of bar 37 1 1 1, make sure the help tag shows you 37 1 1 1 when you place the chord. Now, this doesn't mean that the chord will appear exactly where you want it to, but that can be corrected using the Layout Tool or the various symbol-nudging key commands. Here's one reason why this is important...

Let's say you have a line of music, from bar 31 through bar 37 (so the first measure of the next line is 38). Your intention is to enter a chord symbol on the downbeat of 37, but you actually enter it on 36 4 4 1. Visually, the chord symbol might look OK placed there, and that's fine until (uh oh) you decide later to reformat the score... Let's say you want to move bar 37 down to start the next line. But now your chord symbol is attached to 36 4 4 1, so it's going to appear at the end of bar 36 on the line above after you shift bar 37 downward.

It's for this and similar reasons that you want your symbols aligned to specific notes wherever possible.

Happy New Year,

Ski