Starting a new instrument track in mono?

alexfsu

There's no option for mono or stereo when introducing a new instrument track like there is when putting in a new audio track. Yet when I click on an existing instrument track and then double click below it, it gives me a new instrument track in mono--when the previous instrument track was stereo even. Is there any other way to originally select a mono instrument track, and how can I switch back and forth from mono to stereo like I can in audio tracks (i.e., by clicking the little circle button at the bottom)? Thanks.

Instrument channel strips don't have an input as audio channel strips have, so they don't have an input format until you insert an instrument. The format of the instrument you insert in the instrument field determines the input format of those channel strips:

07-009.png.9b7f20e2bd4e6f83fc14812286e93d44.png

The format of processing plug-ins inserted on the inserts of the channel strip determine the format of the signal after that insert (so a stereo instrument with a mono plug-in will yield a mono signal after that plug-in). Here a stereo ES2 with a mono plug-in, note the single meter because after the mono plug-in, a mono signal reaches the fader:

07-010.png.e3cd8d47e8530413fa771e7a8243bff4.png