Need Audio Editing Help!

Rush909

Hi. Just moved from Digital performer where editing audio was a dream... very intuitive and easy. Logic seems very very cumbersome when editing audio (cutting, slicing, previewing etc..).

anyone can recommend a tutorial video or pdf anything that will explain good logic audio editing workflow?

thanks in advance!

Rush

For a good starter tutorial, you could try my book!

Otherwise, what do you find cumbersome? It's always a bit challenging to move from one DAW to another because it means re-learning things you got used to, and sometimes discovering that some of your favorite features are not implemented in the new DAW. But soon you'll find that there are many ways to do what you used to do, that some may even be better, and that there are ways to do things that you could never do in the old DAW. So arm yourself with patience! :D

For starters, I recommend getting used to assigning the Pointer tool as your left-click tool, and the marquee as your command-click tool, which should be your default tool assignments. The Pointer allows you to select whole regions, to move them, to copy them etc.., it can cut a marquee selection and move/copy it as well. The marquee allows you to select sections of regions, you can them press M to mute them, or press Delete to delete them, Control-C (default assignment in the U.S. key command preset) to crop them, etc etc...

Also try experimenting with the various "Snap" settings at the top right of the Arrange area, with and without "Snap to Absolute Value" on.

Hey David thanks for the reply! yes that is exactly the pointer/marquee assignment I got going on - which is great for general cutting and pasrting. my question pertains to doing precise editing.

For example if I wanted to cut the "be" from the word "unbelievable". how would you do that? in performer I can just scrub the audio region until I got the "be" then hit Command-Y and will end up with a new region for me on the spot. so I will have

"un" "be" "lievable"

with the "be" ready for me to copy/move etc...

how would you do that in logic?

I will definitely check out your book! thanks for the link!

You guys have been fantastic! thanks for all the tips. I've started messing around with the waveform tool, it's pretty close to performer and allows for the control I'm looking for. I can really zero in on the section I want to edit, and highlight and listen to it using the "prelisten" button. but there seem to be no way to create a slice of the currently highlighted section... . I can do a Selection -> Region, but that only places it in the audio bin and it does not place it at the current position in the arrange.

any ideas?