Feedback on "I Need A Dollar" Electro House Remix

dlmoody

Hello everyone,

I've been working on this electro house remix of "I Need A Dollar" by Aloe Blacc for about a week and a half and have gotten it to a point of my liking. So now, I've come to everyone at this site for your feedback, mainly on the mix, but any constructive criticism is welcomed. I look forward to hearing back!

http://soundcloud.com/coyotegrey/i-need-a-dollar-coyote-grey

CG

I think its at 1.50 where it kicks in with that Porter Robinson style bass line, with these baselines don't be afraid to let them kinda throb around the kick, its hard to get what I mean out of my head and into writing but just listen to "porter robinson - say my name 2.55" and you will get me, That baseline defiantly needs to fill the track out a bit more man....if thats what your trying to achieve. :)

with these baselines don't be afraid to let them kinda throb around the kick, its hard to get what I mean out of my head and into writing but just listen to "porter robinson - say my name 2.55" and you will get me

So here, are you talking about the wobble that "Say My Name" has? Or the overall pump effect from the sidechaining? And I was actually using Mord Fustang's "Sexy and I Know It" remix as my inspiration for my track,

right around 2:15. But I love Porter Robinson's stuff too so I can dig that as well haha. Thanks for the feedback man and hit me with what you were talking about with the bass throb.

CG

Or the overall pump effect from the sidechaining?

Yeah I wasn't about to go and tell my mother how to suck eggs and go on about "side chaining" I guessed you already knew how to do that :lol:

I got a better way to explain myself, your kick yeah has a release stage right, were the "boom" is and the attack is the first part of the kick, well when you side chain your bass to a kick the bass is compressed while the kick hits or for longer depending on your release settings right, but if you can get that bass to release faster than the kick takes to finish, the bass is on the up whilst the kick is still sounding it kind of gives a slightly less obvious "pumping" effect.

You do this by side chaining your bass to a different kick that you can't hear in the mix, open an esx24, use a kick with a sharp attack and then pull the decay right down until you got a short stabby sound, Make sure your sample is trimmed tight at the beginning aswell. Then side chain your bass to this, I dunno you may not like this sound but try it as you have a better control of the release allowing you to find the sweet spot where it "throbs around the kick" lol sometimes when you get the release of the compressor perfect for the length of the kick you can really feel it how i would describe "throbbing" :lol:

It sounds best when your kick is in tune tho. BTW I love a bit of Mord , but I really did think you were trying to get that porter style bass as in "say my name" to me it does sound like it melody wise.... 8)

Nice tune, and I'm liking that breakdown at about 3.23, very nice indeed.

A couple of criticisms:

- I think the (sampled?) piano needs to have it's reverb reduced, as it seems to set it apart from the rest of the track, almost as if doesn't belong there.

- Probably a taste thing, but the synth sound that comes in at about 1.22 doesn't sit with the other sounds well for me, which makes it comes across preset-based (sorry, don't mean to cause offence).

Good job overall though mate

Yeah I wasn't about to go and tell my mother how to suck eggs and go on about "side chaining" I guessed you already knew how to do that

Yeah yeah I got you. I'll try using another kick as the trigger and see how it sounds. That's not usually something I think about, so thank you for that.

Probably a taste thing, but the synth sound that comes in at about 1.22 doesn't sit with the other sounds well for me, which makes it comes across preset-based

Haha, you caught me. It's a preset from Sylenth1. I was kinda diggin the sound, but if it's that obvious (which is good to know), I'll see if I can't come up with something else.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll keep you all posted on my next revision. And hit me with any works that you guys have done if you ever want some feedback. I'd be happy to return the favor.

Using another kick for the side chain has not just the advantage of being able to alter the decay of the kick to manipulate the side chain but say for example you want your bass to play where there is no kick then your free to do so. I personally never side chain my bass from my actual kick :)

Haha, you caught me. It's a preset from Sylenth1. I was kinda diggin the sound, but if it's that obvious (which is good to know), I'll see if I can't come up with something else.

Lol, I was a bit hesitant about writing 'preset' in there, could've offended quite badly. Keen to hear the next version mate, pm me when it's online next