problem using a non usb keyboard controller in Logic

joenj07087

hi everyone, like the title says

my master keyboard controller is connected to my iMac via a cakewalk USB Midi Interface um-2g

when i use Windows Seven through Parallel Desktop and use Sonar X1 the Midi keyboard controller works fine and I can use it, but hen I switch away from windows and into Mac's Logic Pro 9, the keyboard controller does not work....I have no clue why...is there something I have to set up in Lion or in Logic Pro 9 ?? why does it work so wonderfully in windows 7 with Sonar X1 through Parallel Desktop and not in Lion with Logic?...??.. :?:

and yes I did installed the latest driver for MAc OS X for the Cakewalk USB midi interface I'm using.....so I really have no other place to go but to ask for your valuable help in here....can someone help me out? I would most certainly be eternally grateful !! thanks!

The first thing you should check is that the cakewalk USB MIDI interface appears properly (not grayed out) in the Audio MIDI Setup, under utilities?

Hi David , thanks for your quick response, I'm new to Logic and MAc OS in general and I'm having trouble finding that "utilities " menu in Logic, is this under preferences? Setting? or under "options" ?? Sorry if these questions seem stupid, I'm kind of disoriented right now,

ok I found the Audio MIDI setup under utilities,,but it shows nothing of the Cakewalk Midi interface...just the built in input and built in output devices , in a menu called MIDI Studio the icon for the cakewalk interface is indeed grayed out....??

I'm not on Lion, but somehow in Audio MIDI Setup you want to find the place to edit your MIDI devices. If it's grayed out it means that your computer isn't communicating with the device. So check your connection, your USB cable, and your driver install. One of those is malfunctioning. Make sure the driver you installed supports your version of OS X - you may want to check that with the manufacturer.

Davis thanks you for you patience, I have it now were it is NOT grayed out , there is the UM-2G icon, and it is not grayed out...I have to edit it?...

No, you really shouldn't have to do anything. It's a good sign if it's not grayed out.

Now if you press keys on your keyboard, do you see any activity on the UM-2G's MIDI in light?

If yes, do you see any activity in Logic's MIDI In display in the transport bar (which otherwise simply says "No In")?

[

Now if you press keys on your keyboard, do you see any activity on the UM-2G's MIDI in light?

If yes, do you see any activity in Logic's MIDI In display in the transport bar (which otherwise simply says "No In")?

In AudioMidiSetup, you need to activate the "Test Setup" button in the toolbar for this to work. With Test setup on, you should get a "beep" from your system audio output, and see a blue flash on the MIDI In of the UM icon.

If this does not work, check your MIDI cables are connected correctly... I vaguely recall that the UM has it's In/Outs labeled 'strangely'.

CCT