Audition transient slices before converting to sampler

ezman

Hi all,

New logic user here,. I’m back to making music after quite a break and have switched from Cubase PC (Sx3) to Logic Mac!

Anyway things are going really well so far but wondered if anybody could let me know if there is an easy way to audition the transient markers applied to a section of audio. I want to do this as I love the functionality of conerting to sampler instrument.

I know that Logic isn’t Recycle but it seems so close to being perfect for the job that it almost seems like a no-brainer to add a little speaker tool which you would hover and click over each ‘slice’ to audition.

Has anybody come up with a decent work around to this.

I have seen this post…

viewtopic.php?p=304225

...but over a year has passed and I wondered if things have moved on at all?

Thanks,

Ezman

In the Sample Editor:

Use these two key commands:

"Selection Start and End to Previous Transient and Play" (= audition previous slice)

"Selection Start and End to Next Transient and Play" (= audition next slice)

Or, these two (combined with the Speaker icon - still in the sample editor):

Selection Start and End to Previous Transient

Selection Start and End to Next Transient

In Arrange:

Just place the marquee tool, on top of a slice (just make a thin, on pixel wide line), and the use the left and right arrows to go to the previous or next slice. When the marquee is at the beginning of a slice, press play.

NB: if you first press both Right (arrow) and then Shift + Left while a transient is selected, you move both the start and end point of that Marque area. If you press Play then, Logic will play that slice only, and stop at it's and. That's an easy way to audition slices, and if you activate solo for that track in Arrange you'll hear only the slice, if that's what you want.

You can assign the Marquee tool eg. to the right mouse click, or to automatically appear over the lower half of a region (in Arrange).

In the Sample Editor:

Use these two key commands:

"Selection Start and End to Previous Transient and Play" (= audition previous slice)

"Selection Start and End to Next Transient and Play" (= audition next slice)

Or, these two (combined with the Speaker icon - still in the sample editor):

Selection Start and End to Previous Transient

Selection Start and End to Next Transient

In Arrange:

Just place the marquee tool, on top of a slice (just make a thin, on pixel wide line), and the use the left and right arrows to go to the previous or next slice. When the marquee is at the beginning of a slice, press play.

NB: if you first press both Right (arrow) and then Shift + Left while a transient is selected, you move both the start and end point of that Marque area. If you press Play then, Logic will play that slice only, and stop at it's and. That's an easy way to audition slices, and if you activate solo for that track in Arrange you'll hear only the slice, if that's what you want.

You can assign the Marquee tool eg. to the right mouse click, or to automatically appear over the lower half of a region (in Arrange).

Thanks for this, I think I'll use the Sample editor commands the most, they seem to do the trick. It's a little clunky compared with the recycle approach but I think I'll get used to it.

And thanks for the marquee tip (lower half of region), that's going to come in handy!

Hi again,

There's actually an even simpler solution in the sample editor: double click on a slice (in transient view mode), and press "Play/Stop Selection" (the key command), or the speaker icon.

All depending on how you use ReCycle, using "Convert Regions To Sampler Track" could also be a very useful solution for you. I stopped using ReCycle after Logic got this feature!

It also creates EXS instruments based on transients within a single region (see image):

1283593972_EXSTrack.png.b4aee726a9f2d247b9776dc51bf446e0.png