Can Time Machine backup multiple drives?

I currently have Time Machine set up to backup only my system hard drive.

Is there any way to setup time machine to backup my sample drives as well? Ideally I'd want to configure Time machine as follows:

System Hard Drive --- is backed up to a dedicated FW drive

Internal samples Drive 1 -- is backed up to a dedicated external FW Drive

Internal Samples Drive 2 -- is backed up to a dedicated external FW Drive

Of course, if anyone can recommend a more efficient way to do this, that'd be great as well.

Thx!

PS. Does it matter if the backup FW drive is 7200 RPM or is 5400 RPM fine?

Go to Time Machine preferences.. then click on the Options button and remove the drives you want TM to backup.. from the list... Make sure your TM storage drive is much bigger than the combined output of the drives you are backing up or you will quickly run out of space and TM will only keep very recent backups discarding older ones at a fast rate!

However... I prefer to to clone my external drives myself using the Disk Utility.. which i do once a week to identical sized (or larger) backup drives.

The speed of these external backup drives really doesn't matter except in regards to the speed the backups are done.

Go to Time Machine preferences.. then click on the Options button and remove the drives you want TM to backup.. from the list... Make sure your TM storage drive is much bigger than the combined output of the drives you are backing up or you will quickly run out of space and TM will only keep very recent backups discarding older ones at a fast rate!

However... I prefer to to clone my external drives myself using the Disk Utility.. which i do once a week to identical sized (or larger) backup drives.

The speed of these external backup drives really doesn't matter except in regards to the speed the backups are done.

Thanks Nigel. But is it possible to set Time Machine up so that it backs up each drive to it's own dedicated FW drive?

ds,

This is why I make clones... on a one drive to one drive basis...

Nigel, why not just get a larger FW drive and partition it for backing up multiple drives (for example, backup 2 1TB drives to a partitioned 2 TB drive). I'd think this would save money (especially right now while the prices are high).

Is the issue just that if the backup drive fails you've lost both backups?

Yes.... You can partition a larger drive for backups of smaller drives.. without issue though as you said, if one backup drive fails you lose the backups of multiple drives if you do that...

OK, thanks.

I'm thinking that with the elevated price of FW drives that it makes more sense to just buy a 2 TB FW and partition it. When the price comes down I'll get dedicated.

This is what I'm thinking of getting (I see no need to go up to the "enterprise class" as these are just for backups):

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10330

And for now, the Quadra series http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10330) seems like overkill. Again, maybe when the price of the drives comes down or perhaps then I'll even be looking at Thunderbolt.

So i'd get a 2Tb FW and use it with Time Machine to backup my 1TB internal system drive and my 1TB internal audio drive.

And I'll get another dedicated 2 TB FW drive, partition it and use it to back up each of my 1TB intenral Samples drives.

Sound good?