[solved] The Magic in The Alcohol by Royksopp

stsao

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure the chords & modes in this song. I believe its written in D Dorian but it has G# and C# so I'm not so sure. Also I can only write out the melody but have trouble with finding the right chords.

1:24 - :34

please open the image below in a new tab.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11903832/LogicProForum/the%20alcoholic%20notes.png

Any help would be great! thanks.

Edited by stsao

It's in C, but that would be easy to confuse since D Dorian and C Major share all the exact same pitches.

I see. What confuses me though, is the progression seems to go in F, Fm, C, E with the cadence on the E chord to my ear. If that E chord leads to F, does it mean the mode is F Lydian, despite the notes are in C major?

Perhaps that's because the hats don't kick in till bar 3? As soon as I hear anything pitched, I'm hearing it start in C, which is why I put the chords in that order. Plus, from a theory/analysis point-of-view, it makes the most sense ( I-iii-IV-(iv) ).

While the concept of a piece starting and ending on it's tonic (or at least, in its I chord) is usually a good rule of thumb, it doesn't always work, especially in an instance such as this where the tune fades in dal niente and ends al niente. If you were to play the chords in the order we've listed, but start from a different chord each time, I have a feeling that starting from C would most make it feel like you've "returned home" when you play a second C chord at the end of the progression to finish it off. Hope that makes sense.

(Sidebar: Gee, for Roman numeral analysis, I wish we had the ability to change font to something with serifs. Perhaps I should suggest that.)

I hear C, E, D-, F.

You can hear the G# @ 0:30 which leads me to conclude the second chord is an E and not E-.

A lot of the notes in the melody are passing tones and should not be included in your harmonic analysis.

Interesting. I still can't convince my ear it starts with C somehow, especially when the shaker comes in at 0:22 on a Dm chord.

To me it starts with the C, because of how the melody resolves at the end of the bar of F, independently of where the instruments come in: the bass, for example, comes in on the 4th beat of a bar of C.

Yep.

Okay, listening again I hear that E now. D- works better following the E, so that works too, but I'm personally still having trouble hearing that last F as major. Then again, my ear has always been enamored with the borrowed iv, and this wouldn't be the first time I've heard something as a borrowed iv that really wasn't. Man, I've become rusty it seems. :?