unintended stereo tracks: how to make mono?

edurbrow

I recorded some vocals with one mic. The thing I don't understand is why the files are stereo. I haven't bounced them. I guess merely having a plug-in that makes a track stereo somehow does that. Isn't the mono recording buried somewhere in Logic? Now I've ended up with a track that, even if I disable all the effects, is panned to the left.

Now that I think about it, when I was choosing the input, there were no mono choices, only 1-2, 3-4 etc. I wonder why I can't get a single input. I'm sure they were there at one time. I'm using a Motu 828 interface.

So how can I convert a stere file to a mono file or otherwise get it to be balanced in the center?

TIA

PS. When I engage the EQ it goes to the center!

When you create a New track you have the option to assign it as mono or stereo. If you plug in a stereo effect into a mono channel strip it'll transform the channel into stereo. If you don't have a stereo effect plugged in -you switch the channel strip to mono by click-holding on the OO (stereo/mono indicator) on the channel strip where you can change the channel strip into everything form mono to surround.

If you do the mono selection before you record, then you'll be able to select a single channel for input and record audio in the mono mode you've selected.

• 1 year later...

Hoping someone can help. No matter what I try, my imported tracks are in stereo, not mono. Whether the have FX or not...

I've tried the bottom of track 00 clicking, nothing help. Driving me insane...

Even if I make a piano track mono in another program (SoundStudio, then make a new (mono) track, import audio file, i still get stereo tracks and cannot pan at all. I'm out of ideas.

Any help appreciated. Whew..

Thanks for replying. I've tried that. No good. Every track is stereo with no way to make them mono, no way to pan.

I even tried trashing the Logic.Plist preference file in my ~/Library/ Preferences.

Almost every track in timeline/ waveform has an arrow, revealing a 2nd stereo track. This is wack.

Thanks for the help. Pretty hard to get anything done with this...

I think I've found the problem, as there was nowhere else to look. I'm using PreSonus Firestudio Mobile. Although it's firewire, it still needs a driver and software "Universal Controller". It's Output section has: Main DAW 1-2, Phones MIXER and SPDIF "power buttons" you can click. I unchecked Main Daw 1-2 power icon and Logic is now able to pan track with the button per track.

Still not sure why this does this, but I certainly appreciate your help.

Thanks, man.

Faiv