Static, glitch artifact?

I was finishing up some random recording, and noticed there was some brief moment of "static" present at the end of the file just as I was about to press "stop"

NO idea where this came from. Never had anything like this before. I didn't trample over any cables at the time either,

Here is the .aiff file

http://www.box.com/s/td3uvdflhl5xdsts01zk

It happens less then 1 second into it.

Very brief static like interference.

What does it sound like to you guys? The level is quite low, since it was seconds before stopping the recording.

In addition, this happened while recording electric guitar DI into my interface.

Thanks

Edited by cheeserandyburg

That download site you're using made me wait 45 seconds before it would start the download, and then threw at least 2 popup ads in new browser windows in the process!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: In the future you can simply attach audio samples to your post (check the allowed formats).

OK, that sounds to me like a wordclock glitch, and specifically, like your wordclock source suddenly lost sync and then recovered. That's why it sounds like there's a pitchbend in there; the clock sped up and then regained speed again.

Edited by ski

Thanks Ski.

And I'm not a fan of that site myself, I just didn't know you could upload audio snippets onto this site. Thanks for the info.

About the file, I agree, I heard a pitchbend at the end. The note almost has a slight tremolo to it aswell. I found it strange.

Any idea of how to go about issues like this? First time I ever had it happen to my knowledge.

Well, I hear static mixed with a pitch up. Did you play that pitch up? If not, I can only guess that your audio interface lost its' sync, as if the sample rate went up for a brief moment. Are the drivers up-to-date? How is your I/O buffer set? And is this the only glitch in the recording? If it is just this once, it is very hard/impossible to troubleshoot.

Hey, that feature, of posts showing up that have been posted since I started typing, kicks in! Very useful feature! Especially since I see Ski has the exact same explanation - yeay! :) Still, I'll post.

Since the static and the "pitch bend" happen simultaneously, and assuming that the bend wasn't played intentionally, I think both aspects are a symptom of the same problem. In any case, usually when a clock source changes suddenly you'll get a static-like glitch.

Yep, Static with a pitch bend is what i hear.

I didn't bend the note at that moment at all. Its part of the glitch it seems.

This was just a one time thing. Buffer is always set at 128. No issues recording the other tracks in the recording.

This is the only glitch in the recording. The file snippet I provided was just a bounce of the solo track ending. It occured right at the end of it, practically 1-2 seconds before I pressed stop.

As I said earlier, these sort of rare things are hard to troubleshoot if you don't have any recipe for recreating it. The only thing I can think of is drivers for your ULN-2. Are they up-to-date?

Yes and no. Hear me out - I had issues with the new drivers from time, so they insisted I track back to the slighty earlier release. And that solved all my problems that I was having.

This seems to be some rare glitch.

In addition its worth noting I checked my console log, and there were no errors implicated a clock sync change happened or anything. Hopefully it was just a rare occurrence.

I also sent them a little heads up of what happened, I'm curious to see what they'll say as well.

Thanks for that! :)

Going to suggest you do a test...

1) start with a brand new song with no plugins. Totally blank. Create 1 audio track, put it in record, and record nothing. Yup, that's right, record no input signal at all. Just let Logic record for several minutes.

2) stop Logic and lower the channel's output to zero because in this next step we're going to create some (potentially) incredibly loud noises...

3) open the recording in the sample editor and use the Change Gain function to increase the gain by 60 dB. When the process is finished, close the sample editor

4) in the arrange page, click the waveform icon located at the lower right hand corner (ish) of the arrange page. Now you're seeing the vertical height of the waveform exaggerated in the arrange page

5) look for spikes in the waveform. I'd be curious to know if you see any. And if you do, are you seeing them occur at regular intervals?

Thanks for that! :)

Going to suggest you do a test...

1) start with a brand new song with no plugins. Totally blank. Create 1 audio track, put it in record, and record nothing. Yup, that's right, record no input signal at all. Just let Logic record for several minutes.

2) stop Logic and lower the channel's output to zero because in this next step we're going to create some (potentially) incredibly loud noises...

3) open the recording in the sample editor and use the Change Gain function to increase the gain by 60 dB. When the process is finished, close the sample editor

4) in the arrange page, click the waveform icon located at the lower right hand corner (ish) of the arrange page. Now you're seeing the vertical height of the waveform exaggerated in the arrange page

5) look for spikes in the waveform. I'd be curious to know if you see any. And if you do, are you seeing them occur at regular intervals?

Will do, and will update :D

I did what you asked, however in the Change Gain function I just pressed "search for maximum" since I couldn't input 60db anywhere.

I believe in the end it increased it 70db instead.

But the waveform is just one dull line. Nothing spiking out it...

Not until I normalized it.. and then it came out, and there was a BIG spike half way through (I recorded for about 10min)

It sounded like a "thud" or "thump" Very strange.