Guitarpop Mixed Entirely In Logic, Feedback Appreciated

Brew.Drink.Repeat.

Longtime lurker and very occasional poster here-

Here is the first of nine songs we're going to release (one at a time, via Bandcamp). Aside of the drums, which were recorded in a pro studio (which uses Nuendo), everything was tracked in Logic Pro at our rehearsal space or at my house, and mixed entirely in the box using 80% Logic plugins.

http://spinninglucy.bandcamp.com/track/whiteout

Would love to hear some feedback on the recording and the mix! While we have a slight modern sound, we're more influenced by pre-2000s rock and I tried to reflect that in the production values. I also tried to retain the dynamics as much as possible, although in the end it comes in at DR 8 (using the TT Dynamic Range meter) which is a little lower than I really wanted it to be. It doesn't sound totally squashed to my ears, though, so I think I did alright in that regard.

Ok, I'll shut up now. Enjoy (I hope)!

Brian

http://spinninglucy.bandcamp.com/track/whiteout

Hi Brian,

I wish I could give you some usefull feedback, friend. To me it sounds awesome; I enjoyed it very much. thank you for sharing.

If you don´t mind, I have a couple of questions:

In the parts where you do the harmonies (1:17, 1:24, 2:18), is it the same singer? and also, how many voices do the harmonies? did you do the main vocals on a single track?

thanks

Sweet, glad you liked it! I think it's probably the best mix I've done so far, it A/Bs well against commercial tracks and sounds good on every system I've played it on. I was most worried about the bottom end, making sure it had enough punch without overwhelming the mix and sounding too boomy. I also wanted the drums to sound natural but also have some nice "thwack."

(Subtractive EQ was my friend throughout this mix, let me tell you... and most of it was Logic's Channel EQ. I did use Elemental Audio Eqium on a couple of tracks, and the lead vocal might have been one of them.)

I'm doing all the harmonies (verses and choruses). In the verses they are one track plus the lead vocal, in the chorus it's two tracks panned L-R plus the lead vocal.

The lead vocal is only one track, Rode NT-2A into an Avalon 737. In the chorus I copied the lead vocal regions to a new track and processed them a little bit to add some depth; I'm not in Logic at the moment but I'm pretty sure it was a gentle pitch shift, down a few cents in the left channel and up a few in the right, and then panned to spread out the lead vocal in those parts. I also automated the vocal FX to come up 1db or so during the choruses.

• 5 weeks later...

Im with the previous poster about the vocals - although they sound good they are a little undernourished. Sounds a little greenday (which is not necessarily a bad thing) but you could be hitting a Sugar sound with a bit more on the vocal. The track is great and i love the multilayered guitars. The spread on the mix is good, didn't think the bass was too boomy or the highs too earpopping (my mate calls them 'winky' when theyre piercing coz they make you screw up your face and close one eye). Anyway, brilliant mix, great song, enjoyed the listen.

Cheers

DaveyBee