are there restrictions to what we can 'undo'?

rekloos

Is it me or some actions cannot be undone? I'm asking because it feels like sometimes when i 'ctrl-z' to undo an action something else gets undone but not the last thing i've changed [e.g., changing the value of a send in the mixer section].

Can't find anything related in the manual.........

Is it me or some actions cannot be undone? I'm asking because it feels like sometimes when i 'ctrl-z' to undo an action something else gets undone but not the last thing i've changed [e.g., changing the value of a send in the mixer section].

Can't find anything related in the manual.........

It's not you. Many actions cannot be undone. Volume changes on channel strips, pan, Automation Mode...

Pain in the @#$.

So yes. You will end up undoing your last action that is undoable in several cases.

thx for the reply scott.

You're welcome.

those are all basic changes we should be able to undo on the spot, no?

I feel the same way. It's really annoying. Sometimes I'll just close a project and not save changes and then reopen it because I want to undo something undoable and I can't recall the previous settings.

Heads up. If you use the Notes window in the Arrange, it's buggy. Save after every entry or you'll see things disappear and there is no undo in that window....

...there are more....

If every single action with the mouse is undoable that would be a huge memory print on the project, making it more prone to low memory messages and eventually crashes.

I think it is the way it is for a reason.

That's my guess anyway, maybe David knows more.

dunno if im buying that....i use live and you can undo just about everything in there without issues although it is a different concept in programming. i haven't used other major daws to compare it with so i dunno beyond that.

beside, we have the option to set the number of undos steps so that would take care of any memory issues, no?

it just seems so easy to f' things up buy not having all ur moves [well, at least most common] saved in the undo history.

add that the mysterious 'save project before closing' popup not working all the time and things become frustrated....

It's true, various aspects of Undo are extremely messed up (ever wonder why your undo history is blank when you recall a song?) But personally I don't think it's a flaw that Logic doesn't save information about how much you change sends or channel strip levels. There has to be some separation between programmed events that you change (such as editing velocities in a MIDI part) and manual, unprogrammed adjustments (like making changes to a channel strip's level when automation is off).

I wish parameter values such as fader movements or plug-in parameter movements could make it to the undo history, and I guess it would be good to be able to select which kind of events you want recorded in your undo history.

As it is now, it's annoying that if you're programming a groove in Ultrabeat's step sequencer, and insert a note somewhere, or change its velocity for example, then press Command-Z, Ultrabeat is uninstantiated altogether, because that's the last action Logic's undo history logged: you inserting Ultrabeat on a channel strip - even if you've been programming drums in Ultrabeat for the past 3 hours.

However, choose Edit > Redo and Ultrabeat will be re-instantiated along with all the work you've done for the past 3 hours. So at least you haven't lost anything. Still would be good to be able to undo your programming actions in a step sequencer.

Here's a bit of a workaround / workflow change for being able to set volume levels on channels with the ability to also undo unintended volume changes after the fact... The premise is that you're not currently using volume automation on a track. In other words, your track(s) are set to automation Off, Read, Touch, or Latch but you have no actual volume automation recorded on those tracks.

1) enable automation view and set your track(s) to your choice of Read, Touch, or Latch. Doesn't really matter which, though my preferred choices are either Read or Touch.

http://www.peterschwartzmusic.com/L9pix/auto1.png

2) the automation level indicator on the track is black, indicating the current and static level your track is set to. Now click on the line twice in the same location. The first time you click you'll be creating a node at the same value as the fader:

http://www.peterschwartzmusic.com/L9pix/auto2.png

Click again to remove that node:

http://www.peterschwartzmusic.com/L9pix/auto3.png

Since you don't have to move the mouse, these two clicks can be performed in an instant. The automation level in the track now appears yellow. You've now set the static level of the track in automation.

3) and now, here's where things change from normal workflow... instead of moving the fader to adjust the level, get into the habit of clicking & holding on the yellow line and adjusting the level that way. Don't create new nodes, just grab and move the line, then let go of the mouse button. Doing this won't create new nodes, it will just re-establish your static level. However, if you don't like the new level you set, you can Undo and the level will pop back to where it used to be.

If every single action with the mouse is undoable that would be a huge memory print on the project, making it more prone to low memory messages and eventually crashes.

I think it is the way it is for a reason.

That's my guess anyway, maybe David knows more.

nah, it can be done. because ableton live lets you undo the mixer changes. undo is just one of those old features that hasn't been revamped yet

Very cool workaround ski.

Thanks.

Adding to the wish list would be a way to have Logic automatically set a single volume node at the beginning of each track after you've got a basic set of levels established. I remember another LPH member was asking about this a while back, and the more I'm working with larger and larger orchestral arrangements I can sooooo see the need for this.