Using software instruments and external midi simultaneously?

1oAk

Hello,

I have what is essentially a midi signal flow problem at this point.

My current midi signal flow is set up as follows: MOTU firewire interface out to MPC in #1, Korg MS2000B out to MPC in #2, MPC out #1 to Korg MS 2000B, MPC out #2 to Yamaha Motif Rack. This enables me to use the MPC simultaneously with the Korg and the Motif rack to make beats.

In order to trigger software instruments in Logic, I have to remove the midi cable going to the Korg out and connect a midi cable going from the MOTU in to the Korg out. If I want to go back to the MPC, I have to unplug the MOTU in to Korg out connect the Korg out to the MPC in.

What I would like to do is be able to set my midi up so that I do not have to unplug and replug midi cables in depending on whether I'm working with Logic software instruments or the MPC. Is there some way to route the midi cables so that this is possible?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

As I whole you can spend some time into the Logic Environment and create some Instrument objects (set to some hardware) ports and in the same time to use the Environment cables (inc Cable Switchers etc) to make different scheme setups. You can control the cable switchers via remote midi messages as well. Right now I do not have time to come deeply in your setup but this is the principle. Hope it will give you some direction...

Scandor,

Thank you very much for the reply.

I bought Logic in June of 2011 and have struggled with the midi environment from day one. It is amazing how much time I have spent watching tutorials on YouTube and digging for information about the midi environment as it related to my gear. I hadn't had much luck with the environment at all.

It seems to me that I can go midi in MOTU to the korg out, midi out MOTU to midi in MPC, and send the signal between the remaining ins and outs on the Korg, MPC and Motif rack without having to even touch the midi environment. My goal is to have all the external midi from the Korg and the Motif rack synced to the MPC, but also be able to trigger the software instruments in Logic using the Korg as a midi controller without having to physically reroute the midi cables.

Are you saying that is absolutely necessary to use the midi environment to accomplish this goal given the gear I have?

Update: I was able to achieve my goal without using a midi environment. I tried the following midi signal flow (out --> in):

Motu--> MPC

MPC--> Motu

Korg--> MPC

MPC--> Korg

Korg thru--> Motif Rack

On a major plus side, it did allow me for the first time to achieve my goal of not having to rewire midi cables when I wanted to trigger a software instrument in Logic. The downside is that the Motif and the Korg both share a midi port, and as a consequence, I have to mute channel 1 in the Motif in order to avoid the Motif and the Korg stacking sounds. This leaves only 15 of the 16 channels of Motif to use.

Unless anyone out there has an idea about how to run the set up without losing that midi channel, I think it's probably best to stick to my original set up which is

MPC--> Korg

MPC--> Motif

Motu--> MPC

Korg--> MPC (and switch this to Korg--> Motu when it's time to use the Korg as a midi controller for Logic's software instruments).

If there's a better way to achieve my goal by incorporating the midi environment, I would very much like to learn it.

Well, connecting the Motif via USB instead of MIDI would solve part of your problem. But adding another MIDI port or two to your Mac would solve everything. Then you could use Logic to route MIDI by channel from controllers to sound modules based on your project's needs. Anything in your budget for a MIDI interface?

fader8,

Thanks for the reply. I would be open to the possibility of getting a midi interface. Would I be tinkering with the midi environment if I ended up getting the midi interface? Do you have any recommendations on the lower price range?

Would I be tinkering with the midi environment if I ended up getting the midi interface?

You don't have to, no. But as your needs and the complexity of your projects grows, you can start learning a few basic environment things that may help you. Just bite off what you can chew for now. The arrange lets you route MIDI by track selection, or in multiplayer mode, can route to virtual or external instrument tracks by MIDI channel. So you have a lot of flexibility without doing anything in the environment for now.

Sorry, been a while since I shopped for a MIDI interface, so I don't know what's presently out there. But check MOTU's website.

Yes, I have two running quite happily alongside my Saffire interface.

The Midisports contain two MIDI In & two MIDI Out ports & connect via USB.

The Midisports only handle MIDI, any audio signals need to be handled by something else - use the MOTU for that if you have enough audio ins.

No, not at all.

Logic is always listening to any connected MIDI In ports & you tell it where you want to send MIDI out to. If you do get one & in the unlikely event you get a problem with it, there will be someone here who can point you in the right direction - but honestly, I don't think you will have any difficulty with it. Mine just sit there in the corner behind my desk blinking away, doing their job without troubling anything or anyone.