Logic Midi Uno and a Roland TD4

logic_noob

As you can see by my name I'm really new to logic and midi as well. I have a Roland TD4 drum kit that I'm trying to hook up to logic and use the built in drum sounds within logic. I'm able to create a new track, get it to recognize the midi channel that I have assigned both logic and the TD4 drum brain. (midi channel 10) When I record I see the midi events that are being created but thus no sound (audio) on both recoding and playback. Help.

Thank you

logicnoob

Hey, I have the same problem and that reply doesn't help me. I'm using a Roland TD-4K2 V-drum, connected via a MIDI cable to the MIDI IN slot on my Saffire Pro 40, connected to the Macbook Pro via a firewire 400 cable using Logig 9.1.6. It recognizes the input notes, but no playback/input monitoring. Latest version of Lion OS, headphones into the phones jack of the Saffire pro.

I've set the synchronization as follows; Transmit MIDI Clock - Destination 1 - Pro40 MIDI

MTC (tick) Pro40 MIDI

MMC: Transmit MMC (tick)

Listen to MMC input (tick)

What do I need to do to hear sound through the Saffire and/or Logic? Nothing is registering in the Saffire Pro mixer whereas of course it does with audio input, is tha normal/particular to MIDI devices?

Many thanks in advance...

Hey, ok I've done that and I got sound, but how do I play the sounds of the drumkit (external MIDI instrument in question) without using a software instrument/Logic library file via Logic and record, as in just use the drumkit and its native sounds and have Logic recognize them and record them/play them back? I appreciate the reply and help very much!

To be able to record/edit the MIDI performance in Logic, you'll have to first create an External MIDI track. Then with that track selected, choose the Saffire's MIDI Out port in the Library. Make sure you have a MIDI cable connected from the MIDI Out of the Saffire to the MIDI In on your V-drum sound module.

To record the V-drum's audio output, proceed as you would to record any audio into Logic: audio cables from the V-drums' audio out to your audio interface's audio in, create an audio track and record-enable it, press record.

Let me know if any of this is unclear, or if it makes sense.

Ah ok, so in addition to the MIDI cable from the V-drum to the Saffire, I need to use two 1/4" cables from the audio out (for speakers, amp etc.) and connect them to audio inputs 1 and 2 fore example of the Saffire? Is that correctly understood? (I have the MIDI cable going into MIDI IN on the Saffire as there is only a MIDI OUT slot on the V-drum, not a MIDI IN, would that make sense/work?)

Ah ok, so in addition to the MIDI cable from the V-drum to the Saffire, I need to use two 1/4" cables from the audio out (for speakers, amp etc.) and connect them to audio inputs 1 and 2 fore example of the Saffire? Is that correctly understood?

Yes that's correct.

(I have the MIDI cable going into MIDI IN on the Saffire as there is only a MIDI OUT slot on the V-drum, not a MIDI IN, would that make sense/work?)

No, that would not work, as you need to somehow route the MIDI data from Logic back to your V-drum for the V-drum to trigger its internal sounds.

Does the V-drum have a USB connection?

David, your a gifted man! It worked funnily enough, with MIDI OUT of the V-drum, the only option as there's no USB - MIDI IN on the Saffire Pro, and two audio cables from the stereo out of the V-drum to inputs 1 and 2, (or any or the 6 others) of the Saffire. I am very grateful to you insight and help, there will be more decent music (I hope) recorded and online in the world sooner thanks to your good self ;) Much obliged

Great. However, keep in mind this will work when you play the drums - but then it won't work when playing back your MIDI recording from Logic. So if you wanted to record the performance, but then edit the MIDI data and have it re-trigger the TD4, you wouldn't be able to do that. Apparently the TD4 isn't equipped for that.

So after all, if all you want is to record the TD4's audio outputs, then you don't need the external MIDI track in the first place - just record the audio outs to an audio track in Logic, as if you were recording a real acoustic drum kit.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey David... I m using Roland TD 4k2 drumset... I hv connected it with my Mbox 3 through a MIDI cable... Till now I hvnt try any other Drum AU Plug in instead of Logic Drumkits... e.g... When i play my Roland kit thorugh Headbanger Kit preset or any other Logic Drumkit... Few strokes of the Hihats get missed... If u play only hi hats constantly some of the strokes get missed even if the stick strikes we hear no sound i between some strokes... I tried everything.... When i use roland sounds through line out then there isn't any problem... it occurs only when i play it through MIDI... bt one thing i shud mention i hvnt yet used addictive drums or any othe plugin... please help me...