Need a tip to optimize my audio plugs with logic

Gabriel

Peace all,

Does anyone know if logic gets stressed out more by the ""esx24 or kontakt's"" sample disk streaming on one drive alone or several drives at the same time?

I am guessing that having several drives may make play back more efficient for more instances, but before i go ahead and move things around on deferent drives i wanted to ask what the facts are since i am not that knowledgeable as some people here with logic's way of communicating with samplers.

This is what i have:

G4 450 Dual, 896 MB RAM, 4 7200rpm ata drives on a dedicated ata card and 3 firewire external drives. (as my singiture says)

If anyone is doing this can they tell me how they organized the names of the drives, i was also trying to figure out what to name them since i will most likely upgrade them in the future and need to keep there names so my samplers do not ask me where they are located again and again.

Thank you

I think you'd be wasting your time trying this. Having a computer such as yours read data from 2 drives at a time will place more burden on the CPU anyway. Unless you're using some kind of RAID system, you won't see any improvements, probably the other way around. And RAID would be overkill for this application.

If you need more speed, you'll want to upgrade to a faster machine that will have a faster CPU, faster busses, faster RAM, faster SATA drives.... then you will see a noticeable speed bump.

I think you'd be wasting your time trying this. Having a computer such as yours read data from 2 drives at a time will place more burden on the CPU anyway. Unless you're using some kind of RAID system, you won't see any improvements, probably the other way around. And RAID would be overkill for this application.

If you need more speed, you'll want to upgrade to a faster machine that will have a faster CPU, faster busses, faster RAM, faster SATA drives.... then you will see a noticeable speed bump.

Peace David

i have a accard ATA card wit those drives on them, i was interested in the idea of having my Intakt zero g stuff on a portable firewire drive, and i might still do this but do you think my ACARD 6280M is good enough for this?

Agree with David on this one.

But also you could try backing up and then reformatting those firewire drives with the audio work partition set to use only the top 5% of the drive. This results in a significant speed bonus in all cases where audio is being streamed from an external drive.

You can then use the remaining 95% of each drive as an archive which is never addressed during a session.