Seperate 1 string track into different parts

druzyboy

Hi. I'm trying to compose/write out 3 tracks of sheet music for 2 violins and a cello in the fastest manner possible on logic pro 9.1.7.

How do I play a chord (let's say a C major with C in cello, E in Violin 2, G in Violin 1) and separate them into 3 separate tracks automatically? like is there an automatic command/function that would allow the highest notes of each chord to go one separate track (and middle and lower notes). or do i have to do it note by note, selecting each note at a time?

thanks

There is an "automatic" way to do this. However, keep in mind that you will still need to double-check the results because you're asking a machine to get involved in an artistic endeavor...

There's a function in the score editor called "voices to channels". If you have series of consistent 3 note chords, it will set the top voice's notes to ch. 1, middle voice to ch. 2, bottom voice to ch. 3. If any of your chord voicings are not made up of 3 notes, Logic will still assign the top voice to ch. 1 and the middle voice to ch. 2. This isn't ideal if that chord happens to be only violin 1 and cello. That's why you have to check your work.

From there, go into the arrangement, select the region, and use the function to demix notes by pitch. This will create three tracks, one per voice.

836721889_ScreenShot2012-04-20at7_25_08AM.png.e7712b9e4512aa4faf441bd2e304db9e.png

There is an "automatic" way to do this. However, keep in mind that you will still need to double-check the results because you're asking a machine to get involved in an artistic endeavor...

There's a function in the score editor called "voices to channels". If you have series of consistent 3 note chords, it will set the top voice's notes to ch. 1, middle voice to ch. 2, bottom voice to ch. 3. If any of your chord voicings are not made up of 3 notes, Logic will still assign the top voice to ch. 1 and the middle voice to ch. 2. This isn't ideal if that chord happens to be only violin 1 and cello. That's why you have to check your work.

From there, go into the arrangement, select the region, and use the function to demix notes by pitch. This will create three tracks, one per voice.

No Ski, after "voices to channels" you want "Separate MIDI Events by Event Channel".

Thankfully, you didn't tech edit my new book on the score editor.....Oh wait a minute....you did. :mrgreen:

Yeah, "lucky you" that recruited me for the job, eh? For your sake I hope you proof-read my comments before sending them off to the publisher...

:mrgreen: