Strange clicking noise on software instrument track

robgrayson

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, new to Logic and relatively new to digital music production. (I've tinkered around with some Windows music production programs in the past, and done some very basic things with GarageBand, but that's about it.)

So, I have a fresh install of Logic Pro 9 on my iMac and have just finished working through Lesson 1 of David's book. I noticed yesterday that there was a faint repetitive click on one of the software instrument tracks. It's the drum track from the song "New Day" in Lesson 1 in the book, and the click seems to happen right after the loudest part in this looped MIDI region, which is the deep, booming kick drum at the beginning of the bar. For this reason, I thought perhaps it might be caused by clipping as the channel peaked – but turning down the channel volume does not eliminate the faint clicking sound. I have listened to every other track in the project, and this is the only track where this sound is present.

I first noticed it yesterday, but after shutting down Logic and coming back to it later, the clicking sound had disappeared. It's back again today, and no amount of quitting and restarting Logic will make it go away. If I bounce the song to an mp3 file, the click can still be heard in that file.

Since the affected channel is a software instrument channel, I wondered whether it was some kind of MIDI issue. I tried "Reset all MIDI drivers" in Logic MIDI settings > General, but this made no difference.

I guess I could bounce just the affected track to an audio file and upload it here if anyone wants to hear exactly what it sounds like.

I should add that I've never had this problem before when working in GarageBand. This is a brand new iMac with plenty of power; I was working in GB on my previous machine, a 2008 iMac with much less juice (2.5 GHz dual core/4GB RAM).

I'd be very grateful for any thoughts or suggestions as to how I can identify this annoying noise and get rid of it.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Yes, do please upload an audio file. My first guess is you have the metronome turned on, though. If the click disappears when you mute that Sofware Instrument channel (have you tried that?), then it's not the metronome, and that click may well be part of the drumpattern? But that is indeed very hard to assess from words alone - so do upload a (short) audio example.

Are there any insert plugins active on the drumtrack or on the output channel strip?

Yes, do please upload an audio file. My first guess is you have the metronome turned on, though. If the click disappears when you mute that Sofware Instrument channel (have you tried that?), then it's not the metronome, and that click may well be part of the drumpattern? But that is indeed very hard to assess from words alone - so do upload a (short) audio example.

Are there any insert plugins active on the drumtrack or on the output channel strip?

Eriksimon, thanks for your reply. The exported audio file is attached. (It wouldn't let me upload it as a .wav file, so I renamed it to a .doc file – you'll have to manually change the extension to .wav.) As you'll see and hear, it's just the Apple loop "Trip hop jungle beat 01". You'll have to listen carefully, but the faint click comes just after the first beat of each bar (the kick drum). There are two inserts on the track – a compressor and an overdrive. But these are embedded in the loop. In fact, if I play the loop from the loop browser rather than from the track it sits on in my project, I can still hear the click. I can't believe it's part of the loop, though – it definitely sounds like some kind of artefact, plus the other day it disappeared, but was back again the next time I started Logic.

Oh, and there is no metronome active :)

Grateful for any suggestions.

Trip Hop Jungle Beat 01.doc

First impression: some sort of intentional vinyl-scratch sound. Intentional. Not a glitch, or an imperfection, or an artefact. Well, in fact it is all three, but not as a defect, but as an intended effect.

Second impression: I looked up my version (It is a loop from the Jam Pack Remix Tools, in .caf) and it is exactly the same, including the little scratchings/cracklings on the Timpani/kick.

This is quite a common occurance/technique, a beat is given a bit of a "vinyl sauce", to give street cred to the owner of the vinyl I guess. Yeh. Yeh. Uh-huh! :shock: 8)

Attention to detail is OK, but you may have immersed yourself too much in one here. ;)

I've attached a fixed version

Euh.... where?

You don't think these are intentional vinylscratchings? I admit, I haven't looked at the waveform, but hey, everybody always says to use the ears anyway, so....

OK, just tried the Software Instrument version (it's a green loop) and the sample used in the instrument has the same scratching artefacts. I stand by my "intentional vinyl sauce" conclusion.

Euh.... where?

Soorry, I clicked "submit" before the file was done uploading 'cause my kid needed my attention ASAP :lol: He's almost 3, you know how they are....

You don't think these are intentional vinylscratchings? I admit, I haven't looked at the waveform, but hey, everybody always says to use the ears anyway, so....

Sure, I think they're intentional...or at least they don't sound bad to my ears....I like clicky stuff. :D

J.

Euh.... where?

Soorry, I clicked "submit" before the file was done uploading 'cause my kid needed my attention ASAP :lol: He's almost 3, you know how they are....

Ah! Didn't know you had kids! Cool. Yeah, they can be relentless at that age - they should be, they still are the world...

mine are older (Finya,11 & Levi, 16), but it was only yesterday that they were 3 too...

btw, here's my daughter, Finya, when she was 7 months old, recorded her voice with a Macbook 540, in 2001... the rest is ReBirth 2.0

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

Well, now I feel like an idiot. I was sure that I had heard the track at least once without the clicking sound in it; I guess my ears were deceiving me. I shall now try to stop being paranoid and overly immersed in every tiniest detail!

Thanks to both of you for answering.

Rob