anchor points in logic help!

drhoust

Hey guys, hoping for your help here...

Im having a slightly hard time adjusting to the audio editing of Logic, after coming from Cubase and Pro Tools...

Is there a way to quickly set anchors in the arrange page or if not, then in the sample editor, just like you would "set snap point to cursor" in Cubase and set sync point in Pro Tools, both of which are avery simple key command..

In logic I have a hard time locating the anchor then going back to try and find the original position that i wanted to anchor.... easp in large files... it would be awesome if it were a simple key command?

Hey fader8,

Thanks for your tip that is quite handy... but I was thinking more along the lines of a shortcut or way to set anchor point at your cursor in the sample editor - like "Snap point to cursor" in cubasa!, would make things a lot easier than grabbing it from the beginning and then dragging it to the point (if you can find it again!) that you want to place the anchor..

Im sure I saw this in a macpro tutorial but can't remember which one!!

Dave

Yeah, I can see how the feature you want would be good for long files. Or short ones for that matter. Until that feature is added, try this:

Zoom out your view of the file in the sample editor so you can see the whole file at once. Now drag the anchor to approximately where you want it. (Yep, you'll have to guess a bit and use your eyes.) Refine this by using the following command: Play/Stop Region from Anchor.

As fader8 mentioned, the Pickup Clock command will place the file's anchor point right at the playhead in the arrange but if you want the file to update in the arrange while you're trying out different anchor points, use this Sample Ed key command: Lock Arrange Position When Moving Anchor. To access that, Control-click in the space between the region bar and the waveform display.

... but I was thinking more along the lines of a shortcut or way to set anchor point at your cursor in the sample editor - like "Snap point to cursor"

Yes, that would be handy indeed. Or at the very least, just command click or something in the anchor lane to get it close.

• 8 years later...

Hi there, just stumbled across this thread today, not sure if it is any help, but it looks like they have now added such a feature:

There is now a key command in the Audio File Editor to “Set Anchor by Playhead”.

This is working wonders to set the anchor point of a cymbal swell, then have it instantly snap into place, to swell to the downbeat.

Hi there, just stumbled across this thread today, not sure if it is any help, but it looks like they have now added such a feature:

There is now a key command in the Audio File Editor to “Set Anchor by Playhead”.

That really is a great new feature, wish it had been there years ago!! :lol: Thanks for pointing it out though.